Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasondelee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
    equation solving
    5^(x-2) 5^(x^2)=626 could u please solve the prob
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Feb 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
    Can you verify that the problem is ? I'll help you, but as it stands, it's crazy hard.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 10, 2012, 12:48 PM
    It's really not "crazy hard." For the equation

you can tell by inspection that x must be greater than or equal to 2 - otherwise 5^(x-2) would be a fraction. So try a few values and see what you get.
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Feb 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
    I got it. I was thinking of having e raised to both sides and using the cubic formula. I need to think more before I post.
    jasondelee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
    you ,the problem is so.I've solved it through graph(but I ain't satisfied)and a way of pentanary (like binary).but the last way is applicable only when the answer is an integer.so all I need is an algebraic solution.could u please think about it.thanks a lot 4 replying.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 13, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Jason:

I don't believe that there is a general solution to this type of problem, other than using numerical approximation techniques. For this specific problem it's pretty easy to guess at the answer. For a more formal approach one thing that you could try is setting up the right hand side as the sum of powers of 5. Note that 626 is quite close to 625, which is 5^4. So the equation can be rewritten as:

So the answer is the solution that satisfies one of the following sets of equations - either:

or

There is no value for x that satisfies both equations of the first set, and the second set gives you x=2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solving an equation [ 0 Answers ]

ello, hope your having a nice day. I have a question? How would I record invested $5000 in cash and have a land value of $4,500.00 ? I'm a bit confused.

Solving Equation [ 5 Answers ]

My daugheter has an algebra problem that she does not know how to do It is 5 to the 4th power over 5 to the 8th power Thank you

Solving an Equation [ 1 Answers ]

One bell is rung after 40 minutes and another one after 50 minutes respectively. What time will the two bells ring together?

Solving an equation [ 3 Answers ]

According to the rules of a TV game show, every time a contestant answers a question correctly, th prize money for the question is awarded to the contestant, but for each question answered incorrectly, the prize money for the question is deducted from the contestant's total money. Contestant Joe...

Equation solving? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a test tomorrow in my algebra class and I need to pass this test in order to pass that class. I get most of it but I'm really worried because I don't understand how to solve the equations. For example this is what the equations look like: 7(x-3) = 7(4x+5) can...

View more questions Search