Ask
    ashleeee Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Feb 9, 2012, 04:17 PM
    Giving up rights
    If my ex Gives up parental rights does he still have to pay child support

Feb 9, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Giving up rights
    My ex wants to give me all rights toy daughter. He has never met her. She is 3 yrs old 4 In 2 months. He owes. Over 10,000 in BK pay and pays a little bit here and there. If I get all rights to my daughter, does he still have to pay child support? Actually he only paid for about 1 year. He is just starting to pay. He doesn't want her he should have to pay no matter what. Right?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2012, 04:35 PM
    What makes you think he can give up his rights? I suggest you read this

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-116098.html

Feb 9, 2012, 04:35 PM
    I forgot to mention this is in Jefferson Louisiana
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2012, 07:09 PM
    He can not just give up his rights, does not work like that.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 9, 2012, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleeee View Post
    If my ex Gives up parental rights does he still have to pay child support
    In a word: yes.

Feb 10, 2012, 03:10 AM
    To answer your question I am not forcing him to do anything! He doesn't want anything to do with her. He is volunteering! Thanks for answering my question.

Feb 10, 2012, 04:08 AM
    To answer your question I am not forcing him to do anything!
    Who said you were? I would say that a large percentage of fathers, especially those who didn't plan the child, want to give up their rights. Mostly because they don't want to support a child.

But the law doesn't see it that way. The law says you helped create the child, therefore you have to help support it. So the courts will almost never terminate rights to allow a parent to get out of paying support.

And a parent can't "give up their rights", only a court can terminate them. A parent doesn't have to be a parent. They can have nothing physically to do with the child if they wish, put they will still have to provide financial support.

Feb 10, 2012, 05:41 AM
    I hear u Scott my husband wants to adopt my daughter and the ex already agreed to it. Now I'd my husband adopts her does he still have to pay

Feb 10, 2012, 05:49 AM
    I know that I have to talk to a judge about the termination of right... I kind of did already. My ex thinks he can get out of the support by doing this. Thanks for talking to me about this. I don't want to get the shaft... my girl deserves every penny from this Guy..

Feb 10, 2012, 07:26 AM
    Step father wants to adopt my child
    My husband wants to adopt my child. If he adopts her which her Bio father said OK does he still have to pay BK pay and does the support keep going?

Feb 10, 2012, 07:52 AM
    My husband wants to adopt my child.
    I wish people would understand that they need to give us the whole story. Did you read the sticky I linked you to?

The fact that your husband wants to adopt is a key fact here that should have been included up front, it changes our answer. Yes, the bio father can relinquish his rights to clear the way for an adoption. That is one of the primary reasons for a court issuing a TPR.

As soon as the adoption is final, the bio father will have no further legal ties to the child. Therefore, support will cease at that point. However, if there are any arrears he can still be held responsible for paying those.

Feb 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
    Yes I did read it! Thanks for explaining it anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up rights [ 7 Answers ]

If a father gives up his rights to his child does he still pay child support??

Giving up my rights [ 2 Answers ]

The mom had custudy of our 10 year old child. They were having problem so she gave me custudy. I have custudy of my son now. Now his mom has convinced him to go live with her. I can't afford to pay child support. Can I give up my rights so, I won't have to pay child support on this child?

Giving up rights [ 7 Answers ]

I have this question about giving up your rights to a child. My boyfriend has a daughter that is 10 months old he has never seen her and has a hard time trying to see her because of the child's mother, she tells him that she will not let him see her. He pays child support. The question is He wants...

Giving up rights! [ 2 Answers ]

My 8 year old daughter has asked me if her step dad can adopt her. I have not had much contact with her in the last 6 years due to her mother moveing from state to state with her new husbands job. I am in some seruios trouble with the attorny general right now because I have been unable to pay my...

Giving up rights [ 3 Answers ]

Can a father give up his rights to avoid child support?

View more questions Search