Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Feb 8, 2012, 05:43 AM
    How to deal with grief after pet death
    I need urgent help.

I've never really had to deal with grievance before. However today, one of my two hamsters died.

My beautiful little girl MelOn died today. It wasn't even her time. She was supposed to live 3 years, and she lived only about 14 months. I was about to give them treats and found her on the shelf. Her back side looked like she was giving birth, all open. When I had a proper look I could see she'd taken a lot of food that she hadn't chewed at all. It was all trying to come out. I feel like a murderer. Like there must have been something I could have done.

I can't even bear to get close to the cage. When I go to move her, I see her properly, as she's on the top shelf. Lifeless. Eyes half open, mouth open, paws up.

She was always the active one of the two. She would roll in her bath. She would come to the top of the cage to come and see me when she could tell I was near. She'd come and give me kisses. And she's never even nipped me.

My girls... Were the only thing I had that I knew weren't going to leave me. And now one of my angels is up in heaven...

What do I do? I can't bear this. Please help.
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Mar 15, 2012, 12:07 AM
    I am glad you wrote. Losing a pet that you love is a loss and it hurts. Grief is one of the hardest emotions that we experience. It is especially hard - when death happens so suddenly. You may need to cry and remind yourself how much you loved your pet. I believe animals are much more aware than what we give them credit for - she knew you loved her. You have lovely memories of your pet and you did your best to care for her. Time will help you through this - but loss is just hard. It is OK to acknowledge how much you cared for her - and that you will miss her. Know that you will be well and that your pet is at peace now. Take heart dear and know that all is well and you did all that was needed. May the living spirit guide you and release you from your sorrow. Take care.

Mar 15, 2012, 04:27 AM
    Thank you. I'm paying so much attention to her remaining sister Karot now, worried about how she can leave at any time too. I panicked as I thought I did something wrong. Did I give her too many treats? Not enough attention? Was the water bottle contaminated? But her sister is okay, so it didn't make sense.

Made a little tribute video for her: RIP MelOn - YouTube

x Dani

Mar 15, 2012, 02:22 PM
    You are so sweet. I think your worry is because you love them so much you just want to do all that is right for them. Your concern takes over and then you worry that you did something wrong. Sometimes you know - life takes over and things happen. You could have done everything perfect and then something happens. You care and you did the best you could. From all you wrote, you did not hurt your pet - you were trying to take care of her the best you could.

Mar 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
    Omg.

Earlier Karot (MelOn's remaining sister) briefly died. She was squeaking and it looked like she was hiccuping, but I panicked as she staggered over to the sand bath and collapsed, lifeless... My ma resuscitated her and we went to an emergency vet. My little sweetheart has breathing problems and I've been given medicine to give her. I changed the type of bedding as it's possible she's allergic to the shavings and re-did her cage. I can't lose my darling..

:'o
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
    Alty has posted about hamsters not being put in the same cage, that they don't do well together. (from http://www.hamstercagesadvice.com/page/2/One Hamster Or Two? The general consensus seems to a be Syrian hamster especially must live alone in their own cage (1, 2, 3, 4) and all the larger breeds too. This is because hamsters fight each other – although some experts advocate the 'dwarf' hamster species enjoying living in pairs, but they may still fight.)

Were your hamsters in the same cage?

Alty will be here later and will give you advice about this. I'll pm her to be sure to look at this thread.

Mar 15, 2012, 03:08 PM
    No they weren't. After about 6 months, and early morning blood-in-the-cage, I separated them. They were Robos.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 04:01 PM
    Hello Dani.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

The thing is, hamsters are fickle creatures. They can live from 2-4 years, but most people find that they have a year at most. Anything can cause death in these extremely sensitive animals.

It's not your fault. Not at all.

Changing the bedding is a good idea, and I'm glad that you did that. A lot of pet stores sell bedding that isn't at all right for the animals that require it. If the wood chips aren't treated right it can cause respiratory issues, and death.

I completely understand how hard it is to lose an animal. We used to have hamsters. One of my hamsters lived for almost 4 years, the other two barely made it past 1. They were fine one day, dead the next. No reason, no explanation.

These little creatures simply don't live long enough for us. Their already short life spans are often a lot shorter than even the average. Just enjoy the time you have with Karot. Grieve for Melon, but do not feel any guilt. You did absolutely nothing wrong. Not at all.

R.I.P. Melon.

Mar 15, 2012, 04:09 PM
    Thank you Alty, and Illusion and WG.

That's exactly it! I think it's the shavings that were giving her respiratory issues. I hope she gets better. If not, I have no idea what else it could be! We were so oblivious. When the squeaking started at Christmas we just said "Karot is singing carols again"

I do worry. I don't want to wake up one day and find the same mysterious thing has happened to Karot. I feel like there is more I can do, but I have no idea what!

I'm struggling to give her her medicine. She won't take it, or eat the food I put it on. So Should I just pick her up and put it in her mouth? It's only a weenie drop (Not even a drop, it's 0.2 in the syringe, you need to close an eye to even see it haha) she needs, so shouldn't drown her.

Mar 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
    Can you call the vet office and find out what is the best way to give her the medicine? I am so glad you got to hear from people who know about hamsters.

Mar 16, 2012, 03:59 AM
    She didn't have a clue and barely spoke English, she just repeated back what my mother said to her ¬¬
    Pets Expert

Mar 16, 2012, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniCalifornia View Post
    Thank you Alty, and Illusion and WG.

That's exactly it! I think it's the shavings that were giving her respiratory issues. I hope she gets better. If not, I have no idea what else it could be! We were so oblivious. when the squeaking started at Christmas we just said "Karot is singing carols again"

I do worry. I don't want to wake up one day and find the same mysterious thing has happened to Karot. I feel like there is more I can do, but I have no idea what!

I'm struggling to give her her medicine. she won't take it, or eat the food I put it on. So Should i just pick her up and put it in her mouth? It's only a weenie drop (Not even a drop, it's 0.2 in the syringe, you need to close an eye to even see it haha) she needs, so shouldn't drown her.
    Giving medicine to a hamster is never easy, and yes, you may have to force her to take it. It's not forever, so she'll be okay. Just be thankful it's not a cat. Giving medicine to a cat is about as fun as getting a root canal. ;)

Mar 17, 2012, 05:12 AM
    But with a cat you can sneak it in a treat or the food!

She's not been taking it and I hate it. I don't have the heart to pick her up and put it in her throat! :( And apparently it takes them a long time to forgive something like that.
    Pets Expert

Mar 17, 2012, 02:18 PM
    Dani, I love hamsters. I've had hamsters. They're wonderful little animals. But I'm going to be honest. A few minutes after you force that medication down his throat, he'll have forgotten all about it. It's not like a dog that can remember a bad episode forever. Turn off the lights, offer a treat, your hammy will forget and all will be well.

It's important that he takes the medication prescribed by the vet. I'm sure he'd much rather forgive and forget you forcing meds down his throat, than dying because you didn't. If those are your options, I'd rather have an angry hammy than a dead one. Right?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2012, 07:25 AM
    But with a cat you can sneak it in a treat or the food!

She's not been taking it and I hate it. I don't have the heart to pick her up and put it in her throat! :( And apparently it takes them a long time to forgive something like that.

Dani, I have a very sick dog. We find out next week whether it's a tumor on her liver or spleen and then whether it's malignant. It doesn't look good.

As sick as she is she can sense medicine from a mile away - today I was hiding her pills in peanut butter and caught her pretending to be asleep, watching me from under almost-closed eyelids. And, yes, she holds a grudge.

I have two choices - give her her medication (10 pills a day for pain, bloating, appetite, her kidneys) or know she is destined to get worse very quickly.

So I tell her I love her (which she knows), wrap the pills in whatever will work and try to feed them to her. She won't take them? My husband tries. (She would walk through fire for him - he's her person and she's his dog.) All else fails? Pill on tip of the finger and down her throad.

You're the owner. They are the pet. Sometimes we all do things we would rather not do and they would rather not have done to them.

Do whatever it takes to get the medicine into her.

(And I'm sorry for your loss. We've all been in your shoes and it never gets easier.)

Mar 18, 2012, 07:38 AM
    My ma has done some research too and because she's only tiny and we have 100mg or so of medicine, she only needs a nibble of the food we're putting it on to get better. She's doing okay at the moment, I haven't seen her choking since.

Oh Judy I'm so sorry. I've never had a dog, but my boyfriend does and I'm already attached to him, so I can only imagine how horrible it must be fore you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2012, 08:06 AM
    My ma has done some research too and because she's only tiny and we have 100mg or so of medicine, she only needs a nibble of the food we're putting it on to get better. She's doing okay at the moment, i haven't seen her choking since.

Oh Judy I'm so sorry. I've never had a dog, but my boyfriend does and I'm already attached to him, so I can only imagine how horrible it must be fore you.

Oh, thanks, Dani - it's particularly hard because she was my late husband's dog. She's adjusted very well but when I think of losing her it's like losing another piece of him. Does that make sense?

Sounds like things are OK at your house - fingers crossed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to deal with death threats? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriends ex threatened my life over the phone as well as told me she would make it so we couldn't be together and screw us both over. She also had a friend of hers threaten my boyfriend at the same time. We both contacted the police about it and filed reports, she was taken to the police...

How can I deal with my partner's death [ 13 Answers ]

My partner died almost six weeks ago,we were together fourteen years and although he had some alcohol problems the last couple of years and suffered from depression his death was sudden and unexpected. I found him dead in bed and keep asking myself if I had been in his room earlier maybe I could...

How do I deal with the death of my boyfriend [ 18 Answers ]

I have lost my boyfriend three days ago and all I could do is to cry. It happened so sudden and feel life is not fair. He was found lying on the corridor of his house by his mum. We loved each other to bits and I feel without him life would never be the same. My family and friend are not around...

Death of a child's pet [ 11 Answers ]

My daughters rabbit, still young, died this afternoon. My daughter is out of state visiting relatives, she's 11, and I don't know how soon and how to tell her.

How do I deal with the grief I feel since my husband told me he was gay? [ 10 Answers ]

My relationship with my high school sweetheart just came to an end. He announced he is gay and now I'm having a hard time dealing with this coming-out process. How do we deal with telling our 5 year old daughter? What's the best way to handle it? Given the unexpected shattering of my trust and the...

View more questions Search