Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dancer4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 03:47 AM
    Dance studio issues
    I am an independent contractor/dance teacher for a dance studio. My classes turned from 6 kids to 200 kids in just 7 months. Half being off the street. I am getting so many private lessons. The studio owner is not accommodating and trying to tell me I can only teach privates on certain days, which is fine, so I said I will need to take all my other clients elsewhere due to her studios lack of space and ease of checking on open space. She freaked out on me and said I cannot take HER students anywhere else, they are her students and her studio? Well these students want private lessons with me and she doesn't have space and this is my full time job. I am making her so much money and my classes are growing weekly, its insane. The studio is the most negative and gossiping environment. So I want to slowly start renting out another space and teaching my own classes. Long term goal being having my own studio. I'm not intereted in stealing her kids, but honestly half these kids come just for me and will naturally follow. So how do I handle the owner when she does see I am taking some of my privates elsewhere and teaching elsewhere. I will want to work at her studio and my own class? Does age have the right to tell me I cannot train any of her students elsewhere if she does not have the space for me to teach privates there. It was weird, like age owns the kids? They want to work with me, don't I have the legal right to work with these kids as I please? All 14 teachers are 1099 but I feel like she tries to treat us like employees?

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone know of a good Dance Studio in Dallas... [ 8 Answers ]

Just like the title says, are there any good dance studios in the Dallas area. With that in mind are they somewhat cheap and up to what age do they take in students? Please reply.

African Dance & Dance Therapy... is over 40 too old to learn and teach? [ 0 Answers ]

Peace! I'm 41 and in great physical health. I used to dance regularly, but after having children (three... two teenager and a toddler) I stopped for over ten years. After taking classes here locally, I was asked to teach because of my skills. I'm also into to energy healing and want to...

Need a dance studio and good support system. [ 3 Answers ]

For some months now I have being trying to put a dance group together , but it has not being easy. I need a location. And keeping the team together and motivated is another difficult thing. What should I do?

Would you like to see my dance studio in action? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello friends! The studio my daughter and I dance with was featured in the Virginia International Tattoo this past April. The dancers on the left are part of the Performing Company of the Rhythm of Ireland School of Irish Dance. These young people busted their humps for months getting ready...

Dance Studios - more empahsis on dance or business [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding dance studios. I would like a sincere answer from someone who either owns or knows someone well who does own their own dance studio. It has been my experience that studios will put more emphasis on business rather than dance. The reason for this is I have seen good...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.