Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Canadian-made HIV vaccine approved for human testing
    Canadian-made HIV vaccine approved for human testing | CTV News

Let's hope this is the beginning of the end of this disease.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Phase III would test the effectiveness of the vaccine in a larger group of about 6,000 volunteers who are at risk of becoming infected. Half would be given the vaccine and half given a placebo. Participants would then be tracked for three years to see how many in each group become infected.
    You couldn't pay me enough to be a participant in that test. Question... how will they determine who is part of the 'at risk 'group ?
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2012, 12:52 PM
    Good question. Probably the individuals who have exhibited behaviour consistent with transmission methods.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2012, 02:33 PM
    It seems karma that there are other ways to put an end to the disease
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    It seems karma that there are other ways to put an end to the disease
    Such as?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Such as?
    Abstinance from sexual contact
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2012, 04:46 PM
    a) that's not the only method of transmission
    b) wanting to have sex is human nature
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 6, 2012, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    abstinance from sexual contact
    Actually, the mode of transmission has moved from sex to IV drug use in many areas of the world.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2012, 06:52 PM
    I agree, it will be great to see this disease eliminated. There have been many scientific and medical advancements. The only way to figure out if it will be effective or not is to start human trials. The thing is, some people might feel if it is successful that it would mean it is okay to go around having risky sex, and using and sharing needles. Guess the only way to stop the disease is to stop behaviors. The thing is this disease is effecting innocent children too. If it is not HIV, it will be something else. There are many cures, I believe that are out there, discovered or about to be discovered. Imagine if they cured many of these illnesses and diseases. The collapse of the Health system, Need for medical personal, pharmacists , etc.. I believe there are governments holding back on cures just for the fact that it comes down to money, then again I guess you can say that cures can cost tons of money on its own which might prevent some people from getting help.

Now I am on a rambling rant. Lol (;
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2012, 04:02 AM
    I believe there are governments holding back on cures
    Would love to see the supporting facts to this claim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human Biology- Human eyes changing color? [ 23 Answers ]

Can human eyes change color, or is it just different types of light reflecting in their eyes? I am dating someone whose eyes are sometimes very blue, but sometimes green. I also have a friend whose eyes change from brown to green.

Can I complain to the Canadian Government about a Canadian Couple with no morals? [ 8 Answers ]

A canadian couple hit my car on Feb 14th in a grocery store parking lot above the left rear tire with their right rear bumper. We swapped information - they are from Ontario visiting for a month in Florida. I called them two weeks later asking for info. They now say "i'm not so sure it was our...

Movie vampire falls in love with a human and eats and drink human food to become human [ 1 Answers ]

Movie about a vampire who falls in love with a human woman and tries to become human by eating and drinking human food

ITIN for dependent canadian born son and wife (canadian citizen) [ 3 Answers ]

I have filed W7 for my wife and son with my Federal tax return by going to a TAC in atlanta area. They indicated that since it is a peak season, will take 6-8 weeks to get the ITIN. How do I file my states return? Reading from the replies of tax experts here, I understood that for most states I...

View more questions Search