Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pgh_dolce Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 02:57 PM
    American Standard single handle kitchen faucet
    I have a leaky single handle kitch faucet by American Standard. I have managed to get the handle and the cover off but can't see the source of the leak. I can see it is not a ball or ceramic plate faucet so I assume it is a cartridge and that is what I am looking at (the cartridge), however I can't find pictures anywhere for American Standard. I read you can take apart the cartridge sometimes and find a leaky washer or o ring but I am not confident that disassembling this any further is a good idea.

I have attached a picture of the sink taken apart as much as I knew how. Wondering if there is anything servicable inside the piece shown or if that is the cartridge and I should just replace the cartridge.. . and how do I do that (remove/replace it)?

Thanks in advance!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...412_154501.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...20412_1545.jpg
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2012, 05:12 PM
    Hi PGH_Dolce

Remove those 3 screws to access the cartridge. Under the cartridge you should find recessed holes in the underside of the cartridge... the rubber rings inside the recess need to be replaced (see image).

You should be able to locate the rubber rings at a local plumbing supply store. Be careful NOT to disassemble the unit into too many parts... hard to get back together.

Let me know how you make out, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

pgh_dolce Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 12:46 PM
    Thanks Mark! I was able to take off the cartridge but the rubber rings I needed were not in the kit of o-rings that I have. I'll have to run to the hardware store... but the rings didn't look bad to me? I am going to replace them anyway just in case. Tightening the cartridge when replacing it seemed to slow down the leak. Maybe the rings are just starting to go? If the rubber ring repacement doesn't help is there anything else to check or should I just replace the cartridge?

Thanks again!
    Lynda
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 6, 2012, 02:47 PM
    Rubber rings should be the issue, but if not you may just want to replace the cartridge, too... cheap enough and then you can be sure you are all set for awhile... :)

For best result here, while the cartridge and rubber rings are out, place a towel over the top of the faucet and turn the water on for 2 seconds... clears the line of any sediment/debris that could clog the new cartridge.

Also, pull the aerator (on end of spout) real quick and clean it.

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I remove a moen single handle kitchen faucet [ 11 Answers ]

I am just trying to remove the mounted faucet in order to replace or fix this one is there some special trick to a removal ? Please help

Help removing Grohe kitchen faucet single handle [ 8 Answers ]

I have an older Grohe kitchen faucet with the single handle. I really don't know which model it is but it looks very close to a Ladylux. I want to replace the cartridge, so I purchases a replacement part # 46048. I am unable to remove the handle. I removed the allenhead type screw, and the plastic...

Help removing Grohe kitchen faucet single handle [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older Grohe kitchen faucet with the single handle - Grohe model #33-757 (I looked it up - thanks Tom). I want to replace the cartridge, so I purchases a replacement part # 46048. I am unable to remove the handle. I removed the allenhead type screw, and the plastic washer came out, but...

Help removing Grohe kitchen faucet single handle [ 0 Answers ]

I have an older Grohe kitchen faucet with the single handle - Grohe model #33-757 (I looked it up - thanks Tom). I want to replace the cartridge, so I purchases a replacement part # 46048. I am unable to remove the handle. I removed the allenhead type screw, and the plastic washer came out, but...

How do I take apart the corrego NSF 61/9 single handle kitchen faucet? [ 0 Answers ]

How do I take apart the corrego NSF 61/9 single handle kitchen faucet? The faucet is leaking and I need to fix it.

View more questions Search