Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2012, 05:50 AM
    Class warfare
    Hello:

IF there's class warfare going on, it seems to me the first shot was when the right wing pointed out that 47% of Americans don't pay federal income tax... You've seen those posts all over the place here, and the right wing is STILL riding that horse...

There IS class warfare happening, and the right wing is waging it.

No?

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2012, 06:10 AM
    No I don't think so. 48.5%, of the population lived in a household that received some type of government benefit 'paid for by people who don't . Seems to me that the class warfare if there is such a thing is being waged by those who ever expand the largess.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/i...1005140904.jpg

And it will get worse as more Baby Boomers retire and Obamacare if fully implemented .

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. "Alexis de Tocqueville

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” -- Thomas Jefferson
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2012, 06:25 AM
    Hello again, tom:

The difference is that the right wing thinks that people are HAPPY about their lot on the dole, and they're SATISFIED, even EAGER to let the government support them... You hear it all the time from your side that people on unemployment would RATHER stay there instead of working...

There's NO acknowledgement from your side that we're in the middle of a major economic disaster and there ARE no jobs.

I suggest that when there ARE jobs for the unemployed they'll HAPPILY take them. You, on the other hand, want to paint them as lazy leeches. THAT'S class warfare, in my book.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2012, 07:33 AM
    I say nothing of the kind.
    Also ,as the chart shows ;even in good times ;the people who are recipients of government aid has ever increased .

As you know from the Euopean example ;that is unsustainable . I don't know why you want to duplicate such a failed system.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    The difference is that the right wing thinks that people are HAPPY about their lot on the dole, and they're SATISFIED, even EAGER to let the government support them... You hear it all the time from your side that people on unemployment would RATHER stay there instead of working...
    I don't know anyone that thinks that way and I don't hear anyone saying most people would rather not work.

There's NO acknowledgement from your side that we're in the middle of a major economic disaster and there ARE no jobs.
    Uh, whenever the current candidates aren't throwing bombs at each other that's EXACTLY what they're saying. What is this, opposite day?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2012, 02:44 PM
    What this demonstates is the failure of capitalism. Allowing investors to make all the important decisions has not enriched the nation, it has enriched a few, and left large numbers with inadequate income.

This comes from wrong thinking, a failure to realise that if we all prosper, we all prosper. I keep hearing that if the capitalist prospers, we all prosper but this is not so, because a capitalist will down size a business just when we need to maintain employment. A capitalist will send jobs offshore just when we need to maintain local employment.

You keep saying you don't want to be like the europeans but Europe has an economic powerhouse in Germany which is sustaining these poor performing nations, so there are lessons to be learned, why don't you learn them?
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2012, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I don't know anyone that thinks that way and I don't hear anyone saying most people would rather not work.
    Hello again, Steve:

Well, YOU'RE a lib, of course, but it's the discussion de rigueur on O'Reilly.

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Hello again, Steve:

Well, YOU'RE a lib, of course, but it's the discussion de rigueur on O'Reilly.

excon
    Ok, I will say it. There are groups of people that feel entitled to the monies they receive when it is in the form of welfare. And in some families there has been generations that grew up that way. It has become the new slave state.

As far as unemployment goes. If you had to close a steel mill and those persons were clearing 60k a year and now are on unemployment. You can bet most will not take any job that pays less then unemployment does. Many on unemployment need job training and a skillset that matches today's employment market. But when you make it a requirement after being on unemployment for a given period then they scream bloody murder. May that remain in the workforce have had to get retraining to keep up with their current job demands which may include expanding their initial role in the business and wearing different hats at times. For those that had left it leaves them without a job to return to as the skillset has now changed. We just need to figure out how to break the cycle and get people back into the private side of the workforce again.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Ok, I will say it. There are groups of people that feel entitled to the monies they recieve when it is in the form of welfare.
    Hello dad:

Nobody disputes that when you claim everybody does something, there's always 10% who DON'T. Certainly, there ARE leeches on society...

But, the right wing paints ALL Democrats like that, or at least of fostering welfare so they'll develop a constituency of dependent people... I say Democrats want to create a safety net so people don't starve.

It's a sign on the times that there are so many people needing assistance - NOT a sign of the Democratic party.

excon
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 04:50 PM
    To me it goes well beyond a safety net mentality. It does cross the line into abuse. The Democrats believe that throwing money at a problem will solve it. The republicans believe that lending a helping hand is needed for a time but as the saying goes. Give a man fish and he will soon learn to expect it. Teach a man to fish and he will never go hungry.

Yes in this society there must be a safety net of some kind. And we are seeing revisions of that everywhere. But wouldn't it be better for the young mother on welfare to have an education and the dignity to make her own decisions then to have the government do it for them?

As a tax payer the only thing I ask is that I get value for my money. And if someone's life changes because of an education program and they have the chance for personal growth away from welfare then more power to them.

Sometimes a little culling is good for the flock.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2012, 05:01 PM
    But wouldnt it be better for the young mother on welfare to have an education and the dignity to make her own decisions then to have the government do it for them?
    Hello again, dad:

Sure, it's better to contribute.. But, I'm not going to let 'em starve or go without health care if they don't.

excon
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Hello again, dad:

Sure, it's better to contribute.. But, I'm not gonna let 'em starve or go without health care if they don't.

excon
    So how long is long enough for you before there may be some kind of requirement for action? Never? Maybe after 2 years? Maybe 18 years and the child is out of the home?

Is there a limit to the giving ?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
    Come on Ex, its only class warfare when you talk about raising taxes on the rich, more specifically the 1%. But its NOT class warfare when you talk about medicare/medicaid cuts, unemployment insurance, health care, Social security, food stamps or heating oil assistance for the aged. That's deficit reduction, not class warfare! Get your terms straight before you start jumping on them right wingers!

I guess you think poor people are people too?? Well they ain't, because all they do is suck all the money from the economy and spend it on 40 ouncers, and lounge in there safety net. I mean can you blame the middle class for not wanting to work? You don't see smart guys like Mitt worried about the poor.

I heard the other day that the poor had so much money they were turning down dish washer jobs. Can you imagine? Turning down a real job for unemployment?/ The gall of those lazy b@star@ds!! Everybody knows the only way to get a cell phone is get on food stamps.

Ex you got life and BS all screwed up. Now send mitt some money to help the middle class why dontcha!! Or take some singing lessons.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
    Is there a limit to the giving ?
    Hello again, dad:

I don't know. When would YOU be comfortable with letting them die on the streets?

excon
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 05:18 PM
    Hello again, dad:

I dunno. When would YOU be comfortable will letting them die on the streets?

excon
    Who said die in the streets? Wasn't me :)

I said how long before a requirement for action. That doesn't mean snatching the net away. It just a means to ensure that net doesn't turn into a hammock.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Who said die in the streets? Wasnt me :)

I said how long before a requirement for action. That doesnt mean snatching the net away. It just a means to ensure that net doesnt turn into a hammock.
    Hello again, dad:

Wasn't it you who decided to "say it"?? Ok, let's SAY IT! If you don't feed people or give them health care, they'll DIE in the streets..

Action, smaction... We're talking about the 10% here. They DON'T want to contribute, and they won't be forced. I ask you again, are you going to let them die in the streets?

excon
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Hello again, dad:

Wasn't it you who decided to "say it"??? Ok, let's SAY IT! If you don't feed people or give them health care, they'll DIE in the streets..

Action, smaction... We're talking about the 10% here. They DON'T wanna contribute, and they won't be forced. I ask you again, are you gonna let them die in the streets?

excon
    No not the 10% because it is a problem that we have to learn to deal with as we have created it. They only way to truly deal with them is to allow them to live out their live in the current fashion and encourage the next group to not be like that. As we have seen in out lifetimes the hearts and minds of people can be changed over time. The thing is how do we stop creating new ones?

That is where the requirements belong. Your not going to change the old guard but you can train the new ones. So on my dime let the training begin. Lets break the cycle.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2012, 05:37 PM
    So on my dime let the training begin. Lets break the cycle.
    Hello again, dad:

See, I KNEW you was a lib.

excon
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 05:38 PM
    Hello again, dad:

See, I KNEW you was a lib.

excon
    Guess again. Its called free thinking. You try as you can to do what makes sense. If I were a lib then it would be everyone rides for free :)
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2012, 10:41 PM
    Guess again. Its called free thinking. You try as you can to do what makes sense. If I were a lib then it would be everyone rides for free :)
    Now there is an idea. If everyone rides for free they need less wages

What we need is a society where everyone has meaningfull work and the means to satisfy their needs, but you can't have that according to management theory because when you satisfy those needs there is no motivation to climb that ladder and run in the spinning wheel like good little gophers and if you have no pool of unemployed where do you find that cannon fodder for the capitalists to exploit?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Class warfare the right wing started. [ 69 Answers ]

Hello: Have you heard right wingers complain about the 50% of Americans who pay NO federal taxes? Of course, you have. What do you think the wingers are trying to say?? Seems to me, they're trying to say that the POOR should pay more taxes... Doesn't it seem like it to you?? Then, when...

Asymmetrical political warfare [ 62 Answers ]

At Tom's suggestion, I am going to create a new thread based on something that we were talking about in the Sara Palin thread. The question was asked by NeedKarma: To which I responded as follows:

What level or class felony is poss/w intent to distribute class d [ 3 Answers ]

In criminal law is possession with intent to distribute class d "one gram " a major or minor felony? I have this on my record because in mass there was no limit to be charged this way But now it is a civil offence no longer a crime.now that mass law is changed when it comes to marijauna will my...

Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare [ 2 Answers ]

How do you guys and girls rate call of duty 4? In ways of graphics, and gameplay? :)

View more questions Search