Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dee75 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2012, 05:07 AM
    Travelling as a lone female for the first time -- need advice
    Hi

After a difficult past 2 years, I have decided that I would really like to go an travel to new places with just myself ! I'm a 43 year old single female and have never travelled alone, other than locally. I am not overly confident but I do get along well with people from all walks of life. I'm open minded and open to new experiences, I would say I have a lot of common sense and can spot danger or risks quite well.

Anyhow, I wanted some advice on where and how to ease myself into this sort of thing. I thought that I would be better off starting small rather than hopping on a plane to India or somewhere far away. Are there any females reading who have experienced travelling alone? Any advice/tips/comments welcome and thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Many of the ladies in my church that travel alone, often book all of the hotel rooms in the name of a couple. ( not any higher cost) When they check in, if anyone even asks, the other party is merely joining you latter. That way anyone seeing the hotel register will not see a single person registered.
    ANGIE4124 Posts: 67, Reputation: 23

Feb 23, 2012, 02:52 PM
    Not knowing your country of origin and hobbies makes it a bit hard to advise you; whereas in Australia its pretty laid-back, and friendly. America I am still to find out next month, Europe and Asia require language skills and hobbies can take you across the planet, like me.

1. Speak the language
    2. Choose a place of interest; satisfy a long awaited curiosity in something
    3. Mode of transport. Driving is by far the best way to explore a new place.
    4. Research the area, check hotel reviews and Google it.
    5. Stay for the length of time and experience as much as you can as though its your last visit.

The only difference from travelling locally is what you pack in your suitcase. You take common sense, and your quench for curiosity wherever you go.

Personally I have had no trouble with my own company and solitude when it comes to travelling solo. There is a sense of achievement and confidence doing it alone. Plus I can always return with that special someone later on in life.
    Dee75 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 02:04 AM
    Thanks for that. I am in the U.K and my only real hobbies at the moment are walking and cooking. I have just started French lessons but they are merely for the 'extreme beginner'. I am interested in U.K history so thought of visiting a couple of historic cities here in the U.K to begin with.
    I think I would personally prefer a hotel room to a hostel at the moment but they cost slightly more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm an us citizen travelling to uk ,want to work part time during my stay? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 48 year female (us citizen)3 kids all well settled in us.right now I am visiting friends and family in united kingdom, I want to stay here for 3months but to support myself financially I need to get a part time job. How do I do that

The first time a female is in heat [ 5 Answers ]

I'm going to ask a question and I don't care if someone is a goody goody with the answer I'm just curious, is it safe to breed a dog the first time it comes in heat?

View more questions Search