Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    astark.ice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 05:28 PM
    A drunk driver hit my car with my boyfriend inside
    My boyfriend was parked on the side of the road and rear ended by a drunk driver. We contacted his insurance company to put in a claim, it took them 3 weeks to send out an estimator and another week before they got into contact with their insured, who at the time told them that his car was stolen. It is now 93 days after the accident and I still haven't gotten my car repaired or replaced. Their insured was picked out of an official police lineup and identified, I faxed the papers to his insurance company, now they are saying that they will not pay because their insured committed a felony and lied to their company so they may not pay out. Help please.
    keyera Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Feb 2, 2012, 06:46 PM
    I think you should actually press charges on the "drunk driver".
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2012, 06:55 PM
    First, drunk driving is a criminal offense. The victim doesn't "press charges", the prosecutor's office does.

You need to report this to YOUR carrier. Let your carrier pay for repairs and then go after the other driver's carrier for reimbursement.
    astark.ice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 08:39 PM
    I have liability insurance on my car. At the time of the accident the driver of the other car fled the scene when he heard me calling the police turning it into a hit and run case. The officer investigating the case requested a warrant for his arrest. But because he lied to his insurance company about his car being stolen, and once I provided them with proof of the incident, his insurance company does not want to repair my car because he committed insurance fraud,(a felony offense), and his policy is therefore forfeit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2012, 09:06 PM
    So you sue the driver and the insurance company, sorry but this is life today, many insurance company deny a claim until it goes to court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 3, 2012, 04:09 AM
    So you have no comprehensive of collision. Then, as we have said, you need to sue the other driver and his carrier for the money to repair.

It is possible that his insurance has a clause that indemnifies them if the damages were caused by an illegal act. If that's the case, then its likely the carrier can get away with denying the claim. That means you will have to go after the driver for reimbursement and that may be difficult. You will win in court, but collecting the judgment will be another matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Personal Injury Lawyer Worth It If Hit By Drunk Driver-Her Ins Accepted Liability? [ 12 Answers ]

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS! I have been researching literally all day and trying to determine if getting a personal injury lawyer is actually worth the fees or not and I'm still not sure and getting more and more frustrated and desperate! (I also still need to go to a doctor somewhere asap...

Car accident, insuranced car with non-covered driver, other driver injured, suing... [ 2 Answers ]

I got into a car accident in a intersection with stop sign on my side. I stopped at the stop sign, checked left and right and then tried to pass the avenue but unluckily got hit by another female driver. My car (my girlfriend's actually) turned 180 degrees the opposite side after the accident. I...

Hit by drunk driver [ 7 Answers ]

I was hit by a drunk driver in January 2009 and it was not his vehicle. The person who owned the vehicle had insurance and I'm still fighting that one on personal injury. Can I file a civil suit on the driver for the extra cost of having to purchase a new vehicle? Mine was paid off and totalled...

I need to remove the inside driver panel to replace the driver window switch 2003 exp [ 0 Answers ]

Want to remove the inside driver panel to replace window power switch on for 2003 explorer xlt

View more questions Search