Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guddaddy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 09:08 AM
    Balancing two bladder type water pressure tanks
    I am going top replace my 1 - 80 gallon bladder tank (bladder is blown) with 2 - 80 gallon tanks. The idea is to get twice the draw down of one tank... i.e if the one tank has a draw down of 25 gallons at 40/60 psi, you should get 50 gallons draw down with 2 tanks at the same pressure setting. I will have one pressure switch installed between the tanks and also install a pressure equalizing line on the top of the two tanks (using the chrging valve fittings) so the air pressure is always the same between the 2 tanks. In an extended period of no power, I want the extra draw down capacity so I can run my generator only once a week to top off the water tanks. That is why I would add additional tanks to the system.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 2, 2012, 03:49 PM
    Hi guddaddy and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 5 year old dead thread so I gave you one of your own. Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date before you post, Thanks,
    It sounds complicated to me. Why not simply install a 80 gallon galvanized pressure tank and keep it simple? Regards, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 06:25 PM
    I'm with Tom in thinking you are making this much more complicated than necessary. I would be fairly certain that the pressure in the two tanks will be the same whether you run a line between the two tanks, though you would want to set the initial pressure the same in both of them. An 80 gallon bladder tank is not cheap. Might make more sense to keep several 5 gallon containers around to fill in case of an extended period of no power. Or just plan on running the generator twice a week. I would think your pump could refill your pressure tank in a matter of only a few minutes. But, your plan will no doubt work if you want to spend that kind of money on it.
    chambermaid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2013, 08:44 PM
    I have the same case with this. If ever you replace the existing bladder tank with 2 bladder tank, will it save electricity?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 09:01 PM
    No. The tank is an inert object. Your well pump must run for a certain length of time to pump a gallon of water. Therefore there is a specific cost per gallon no matter what the size of the tank. There would be some slight increase in efficiency in having the pump run longer but less frequently because of the motor starting amperage. What a larger tank will do is increase the expected life of the pump. The starting of a electric motor is much harder on the motor than the running time.
    chambermaid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2013, 10:23 PM
    But which is better? With 1 tank or with 2 tanks? Or with 1 tank but same capacity as that of 2 tanks?

Our system has 3 pumps:2 primary pumps and 1 jockey pump. During peak use, our pumps are always running. We're looking for a way to have our pumps kick in less often. We're thinking of increasing the capacity of the bladder tank. So can we have 2 or 1 with larger capcity?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do water bladder tanks last? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'd appreciate any info. On how long my bladder water storage tank should last. We built our home 16+ years ago and have replace the well pump a few years back. The tank is fine, just want to get a jump on replacing it if its life expectancy is over. Thanks so much!

Balancing two bladder type water pressure tanks [ 11 Answers ]

Former owners installed two 85 gal pressure tanks. However, only one tank seems to be filling. The pressure switch is a 30-50 set at about 32-42. The tanks are new bladder type and are pressurized to 30 psi each. They are connect in series with the water line connecting to one end of the...

Bladder type pressure tank [ 9 Answers ]

For some time I have noticed that there is a strange noise emanating from the pressure switch on my system. Water pressure in the house is lower than average - but that may be due to low flow faucets. Decided to check pressure in tank. It reads 60 psi! Pressure switch is set for 40 psi, and...

Does shallow well jet pump build air pressure in the bladder or just water pressure? [ 0 Answers ]

My 40/60 3/4hp shallow well jet pump will run continuously and will not build up air pressure in the bladder. The bladder will hold pressure though. I have filled it with air and when I turn on the water it loses its pressure and when the pump kicks on it just keeps running without building the...

Wells and water softeners and bladder tanks? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, we recently installed a water softener for our home and are now experiencing a high water pressure reading at our switch (100-110#). My husband has tried many times to adjust it, but is simply unable to determine what is causing this pressure issue from switch to the pump. Any time we run our...

View more questions Search