Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 2, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Tips for Living with Cats
    Having a cat is more than just making sure it's fed and cared for. You'll need to cat-proof your house. Unlike baby-proofing, that means more than everything below waist-height.

-Make sure trash cans, especially any that hold food trash, either have lids you have to lift, or are hidden. Revolving lids (the kind that rock or spin when you push on them) just make the cat land in the trash can when they jump on it. No lid is just asking for the cat to dig through your garbage.

-Try to hide cords. A lot of cats LOVE chewing on them. If you can hide cords between furniture and the wall, where they can't squeeze through after them, then you won't have to worry about it.

-Don't leave food sitting out on counters. If you need something to thaw, then make sure it's covered by something cat claws can't scratch through (which means something more than just tin foil or plastic wrap). Leftovers should be covered immediately, or put away. Also, you might need to find alternative storage for things like fruit and bread, if you usually keep them on the counter (my cats LOVE to tear apart bread bags).

-Get a scratching post, or several. Make sure the cat knows where they are and what they're for. If kitty still scratches doorways, then you can buy one of those plastic floor mats with the little nubs underneath they use to protect carpet in offices. Cut it into sections wide and tall enough to cover where they scratch, and nail it to the doorway, nubby side out. Even if they aren't bothered by the nubs poking their paws, it'll still protect the doorway. Also works for scratching on window frames.

-If you don't already, start keeping the toilet lid down. Cats will jump up onto a surface, not realizing the top is open, and land in the toilet. Then you have a wet cat running around your house, ticked off, and smelling like toilet water.

-HIDE the toilet paper. You've probably seen pictures of a cat, looking cute and innocent, and sitting in a pile of shredded toilet paper. It's not as cute when you have to clean it up. Get a holder to mount on the door under the bathroom sink. If kitty can open the door, then put a childlock on it. It'll be cheaper then going through a new roll of toilet paper everyday, or more.

-You might need to put small, breakable items away. Some cats, not all, like to climb shelves. They don't care if things get knocked over, in the process.

-If you open windows in warm weather, make sure they have screens. Cats will jump out of a window, regardless of height, to chase birds or bugs, or just because they want to go outside. You can get slide screens, that expand to the width of the window and hold it open, at the same time. The ones with metal screening are better, since cat claws can shred vinyl screens.

-Watch by your feet you go outside or come back inside (especially if you are carrying something or otherwise preoccupied) so that kitty doesn't sneak out past you.

-Keep plastic bags and loose string/ribbon/yarn out of reach. Despite all the cute pictures of cats playing with a ball of yarn, it is not a good idea. Swallowed string can get tangled in the intestines, and can cause death if not caught in time. Plastic bags can have the same results, if eaten.

Cats can be a never-ending supply of amusement. A few cats toys can keep you, and them, entertained for hours.

-Catnip. Just spread a little bit on the carpet, or put in a catnip toy or old sock, and watch. Only use it every now and then. You can also spread catnip on scratching posts, to get kitty to use them.

-Balls. With or without bells.

-Stuffed toys. Some have velcro pockets where you can put catnip, renewing it when the old batch goes stale.

-Laser pointers. Most cats will go absolutely insane chasing one. See if you can drive kitty up a wall, literally, or run in circles till they get dizzy and fall over.

-Any toy on a string or ribbon. Just be sure to keep body parts out of the way when they jump, unless you like claw marks. They even make some that can be hung from a door or doorframe, so you don't have to always hold them.

-Milk rings. The little plastic circles that come off when you open a new jug of milk or juice. Just spin on any hard floor a few times, send it sliding off in a random direction, and watch kitty chase.

Check out some similar questions!

Making outdoor cats indoor cats [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my 2 female cats Sox and Princess since they were born. Which must have been 7 years ago now. All Sox's life she has been indoor/outdoor. Princess has been indoor/outdoor except for about a year of her life when someone stole her, they claimed to have kept her indoors. I'm 18 years old...

Older cats ganging up on newer cats [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying....

Do you remember what was the name of cartoon with cats living on the street in bins? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, :) Does anybody remember the name of the cartoon, where there were cats living on the street in empty bins? What I remember is that they had telephones attached next to the bins. They had different colours and the leader was purple. They had some incidents with police. I hope somebody...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.