Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sendria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 12:12 AM
    Can I claim my son I only worked 5 months for last year or does my ex get to claim
    My ex has provided for me and our son all year does he get to claim him and I not get any money??
    suprspaztic Posts: 7, Reputation: -2

Feb 2, 2012, 01:00 AM
    As long as you've got some income you're not being claimed as a dependent by another person you're legally able to claim your child as a dependent. However only one person can claim a child. So if the father has already filed and used the child as a dependent you'll be unable.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2012, 08:40 AM
    It does not matter who supported your son. Only the custodial parent can claim the child.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 2, 2012, 11:11 AM
    sendria - you may claim your son if you are the custodial parent. It does not matter who made more money, or who filed first. However - if your ex has already filed before you do and he claimed your son on his return, you may find that the IRS won't let you e-file, since their computer will know that your son has already been claimed by someone else. If that happens then file a paper tax return via US mail, claim your son, and include with your return a note that states you are the custodial parent. Eventually the IRS will investigate and disallow the claim made by the non-custodial parent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

9 Months on OPT and 3 Months on H1B will I qualify to claim Making Work Pay Credit [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was on OPT till Oct 1 2009 then I changed to H1-B. I researched a bit and found out that I have to fill in 1040NREZ (Please correct me if I am wrong :)). I filled my Federal Tax using Cintax application. And then to cross verify I again filled it with H&R Block, free federal...

Can I claim my 31 year old son who lives with me and is not working? [ 1 Answers ]

My 31 year old son has been out of work and living in my home for over three years. My wife I provide for 100% of his expenses. Not half, not 75%, but all of his expenses. Can I claim him as a dependent on my federal taxes? Some friends tell me I can. Mike in Michigan

I worked with a J1 visa in December 2008, could I still claim a tax return ? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked with a J1 visa in December 2008, could I still claim a tax return ? And if that is possible.. which forms will I need to fill?

Who shoul claim my son this year? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have a 7 month old son.We live together but we are not married. Who should claim my son or does it matter? Would one of us get more than the other? If it's the same for both of us do you know how much it is for one dependent?

View more questions Search