Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nex.amare Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 10:52 PM
    Not sure what I should be thinking about/doing in this situaiton.
    My boyfriend will be graduating from university in April. He will be a certified 3rd class power engineer. He has multiple job opportunities that he can take. He applied for company A in November. This job wouldn't require him to move but it's a 6 month grad position with a possibility that it won't be permanent.(Although its looking more and more like it will be) There's also a fly in camp job available on rotating 14 on 7 off shifts 2-4 hours away.

Now my boyfriend was initially really excited about the job with company A but since he found this other job, he seems to be really thinking hard about what he wants.I honestly don't want to part ways with him but I would see him a max of a week out of every month. I understand that this might be chances of a lifetime, so don't want to hold the guy back. But at the same time I want to be able to continue a fulltime relationship with him. I know that he genuinely cares about what I have to say and he wants to be with me, but I'm wondering if the allure of money is going to be too strong to resist.

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the situation, how I should handle it, if you've ever been in this type of pickle, what you did and how did it work out? Any wisdom that I might be able to pass on to him? A different angle on the whole thing?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 2, 2012, 03:37 PM
    Sometime what we want is very different than what we should do. I think you back off from influencing him one way or another and let him make his own decision, then adjust to what he decides.

I don't think you should stand in the way of what he wants, and if the relationship is strong enough to survive the challenges of life, then it will survive no matter what he choses. Long distance relationships can be stress full, but to deny him a chance at fulfilling his goals just because you want a full time boyfriend is another stress as well.

Talk to each other, and see what you both are willing to do. One step at a time but make sure you know what he really wants, and he knows what YOU really want.

How old are you both, and how long have you been together??
    IeshaM Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
    long distance relationships can be hard. I have been with my man for two years and we don't get to see each other as much as we would like. In your situation I would have to ask. Have u ever considered moving with him? Or even moving to a place closer? You always should allow him to go out and do what he wants for his carrer even if it means ul have to be apart for a while. I spent 6 months away from my man so he could go into the marines and it was hard on me but we always kept in touch. This call is of course on u but consider your options that you actually might have with him. If you think he's the one then it will all work out and this is a great test on your relationship. If he goes and it doesn't work out then maybe it just wasn't the right time for you two. I hope this has helped good luck! =D
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2012, 12:43 AM
    If this is meant to work, it will work with distance or together. It will be more work with distance, but if both of you believe in it, then everything will be all right in the future. Just keep your communication level up as much as possible. Encourage him to take this great opportunity, if he grows, you both grow, remember that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We have two spirits in our house, a ten year old boy and someone else. The boy is sca [ 6 Answers ]

We have had a ten year old boy sprit in our house for many years. There is another spirit here as well. He is not so nice. He has tormented my son for many years. Apparently, the young boy is scarred of the other spirit. The boy will not speak to me. The boy lives in my sons room, so does the other...

Blue boy and red boy plates [ 1 Answers ]

I have one red boy and one blue boy plates and I want to know how much they are worth

What is my ex girlfriend thinking? Could she be thinking about me and what we've lost [ 12 Answers ]

So here's the deal, a little more than a year ago I met this girl. Our chemistry was so fricken intense. We started seeing each other, things felt awesome when we were together. If I were to imagine my perfect love, it would be her. We loved the same music (which is underground and hard to find),...

Cartoon movie with a boy the goes through fables(tortoise and hare,boy cries wolf,etc [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to figure out a cartoon movie(possible 80's) with a boy that goes through an adventure of fables, the boy who cried wolf, the tortoise and the hare, the ant and the grasshopper, etc.. The boy had brown hair and there was a donkey that ventured with him. Some part the wind and the sun try to...

Boy meets girl. Boy falls for her. Girl has boyfriend. Boy is lost. [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all. Thanks for being here. I will try to explain my situation briefly. Hope you have the time to read and reply. I'm 23, virgin and never have kissed a girl. Been to worried about my professional life until now. Three months ago I've met a beautiful girl at university (project partner)...

View more questions Search