Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickyd63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 07:46 PM
    2x^2 2x 2y^2-6y-11=0 how do I find out what the conic equation is?
    2x^2 2x 2y^2-6y-11=0 how do I find out what the conic equation is?
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Feb 1, 2012, 10:52 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "what the conic equation is". I think you mean what type of curve it is, also called the conic section. The reason it's called a conic section is because it's obtained by taking a conical surface (looks kind of like an hour glass that stretches to infinity) and intersecting it with a plane. The conic section is the curve formed by the intersection. The types of conics and their respective general formulas are the following:

An ellipse: .

A circle: . Notice this is just a special type of ellipse when .

A parabola: or .

A Hyperbola: or .

After a bit of experience you can just look at an equation and tell what type. But I doubt your teacher wants you to just say "I eyeballed it". So what you need to do is manipulate the equation until it looks like one of the general formulas above. The important trick you need to remember when manipulating it is completing the square, which is:

So let's look at you specific problem and see what we can do:

(I just divided everything by 2).

So it's a circle. If you're trying to draw this, the center will be at and the radius will be .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I figure out what conic section this equation makes? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not looking for answer, just the step to finish the equation and figure out which conic section it forms? Here's the equation: x^2=y^2+9. I think I start by putting the equation into y=mx+b form, so it can be graph on a graphing calculator. But I can't figure out how it's going to...

Find vertex, axis, focus, p, directrix of conic equation [ 8 Answers ]

-4(y+2) = (x-3)^2 I need help finding the vertex, axis, p, focus, and directrix. I'm so blanked out.I cannot remember anything.

To find the coordinates of the focus of a given conic equation... [ 2 Answers ]

This question appeared in my practise exam and I didn't have a clue of how to go about it... here goes... If S (a,b) represents the coordinates of the focus for conic x^2 + 2xy + y^2 +2x + 4y = 0, then the maximum value of |a|.b is a) 1 b) 2 c) 3 d) 4 It'd be great if someone would help...

View more questions Search