Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttlady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 04:34 PM
    Can you connect a washing machine drain to a sewerage pipe?
    Since the plumber connected my washing machine drain to the sewerage pipe in the garage when I flush the downstairs loo it is gurgling and only leaving half the water in the trap. Is this because you shouldn't connect a washing machine to a sewerage pipe.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2012, 05:22 PM
    What exactly are you calling a sewerage pipe? What else would you hook a drain to other than a sewer pipe? Please describe the plumbing hookup in more detail, maybe with some pictures. Sounds like something wasn't vented correctly. Did they by change hook the washer drain into the toilet vent? If so, that's a no no. It is possible that the new washer drain has nothing to do with the toilet problem, but its hard to say without more info.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 1, 2012, 05:50 PM
    Not sure how or what he did but it seems he added an unvented drain that can siphon water from your toilet trap. Either you need another vent or the one you have is clogged. Can you get on your roof this time of the year?
    ttlady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2012, 04:34 AM
    I have a sewer pipe from the upstairs loo which comes down through the garage which is where the washing machine has been situated. The sewer pipe is black and around 6" diameter. He has attached the drain from the washing machine into this sewer pipe. When I pointed out the downstairs loo malfunctioning he said we needed an extension on the vent pipe or it could be blocked but he does not do that sort of thing. I am reluctant to pay his bill until I know that what he has done is in fact legal and I won't have to pay again to have the washing machine plumbed elsewhere.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2012, 05:38 AM
    the plumber connected my washing machine drain to the sewerage pipe in the garage
    How did he connect to the sewer line? Did he use a trap? Did he run a vent from the trap? If none of the above were done the you have a illegal connection. Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I connect my washing machine drain with my shower drain then go to the stack? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put my washing machine and shower stall in the same room on the first floor. Can I connect my washing machine drain with my shower drain then go to the stack?

Can I tie in a shower drain pipe into a washing machine drain pipe? [ 3 Answers ]

Can I tie in a shower drain pipe into a washing machine drain pipe? And does the shower need to have a trap?

How do I connect a new washing machine drain to an old rubber one? [ 2 Answers ]

I just had an old washing machine disconnected in a house I am upgrading. The house was built in the 50s and the washing machine drain (1") was connected to another black rubber drain hose (about 1 1/4) which is buried in the dirt under the crawl space. I found the other end of that drain about...

Proper way to connect washing machine to basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have a basement floor drain that the washing machine currently connects to. Right now it's connected in unprofessional way involving a length of guttering and basically duct tape. I examined the drain and it does seem to have a p-trap installed and it is vented, however I don't see any...

Washing machine drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with the pipe going into the main drain, the water is backing up onto the floor. Have checked for blockage and there is none. Any diagrams on how it should look Thanks Wayno

View more questions Search