Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vz2d1k Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2004, 08:57 PM
    Basement rough in
    Hello,
    I built my house about 3 years ago and I'd like to finish the basement. The bathroom was setup for a shower, sink and toilet. My question is how to install everything. I have 2 pipes coming up from the floor both 3.5"dia capped. I also have a square patch in the floor for the shower drain I believe (The builder said he does this so he can find it) . I assume the middle pipe is for the toilet which I don't think I need to vent. The pipe on the left is for the sink? Why 3.5 inches? Do I need to vent this? Also, I have in the ceiling a 1.5 inch pipe capped I assume for vent.. . Pic 1 Shows the Pipes in the slab from the front, pic 2 from the shower end. The final pic (3) is the ceiling where the vent is. You can see in this pic the sink drains from the bath upstairs next to the vent, and the other end is the toilet.

Thanks for in advance for any help.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2004, 06:55 AM
    Basement rough in
    Your builder's got me confused. This roughin looks all wrong to me. The commode rough in should be 12" out to center of a 3 or 4 " pipe that has a styrafoam closet wrapper around it so you can install a closet flange without having to chip the cement around the pipe. I don't see any wrapper. I have no Idea what the pipe in the middle of the floor picks up. The sink should rough out 18" above the floor and stub out from inside the wall with a vent running out of the tee to the roof or reventing back in the attic. I hope that those sharp bends near the floor plate doesn't carry the discharge from the upstairs toilet. Bad practice to use short bends in drainage. Call your plumber/builder and find out the purpose of each pipe and then get back to me and we'll sort this out. Good luck Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement rough in [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to rough in plumbing in my basement for a full bath (toilet, sink, and shower). I live just outside of Chicago so I suspect the plumbing codes are the same as Chicago. Currently in my basement I have two sump pumps and pits, one pump takes care of the drainage around the foundation...

Basement rough in? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought a house with a 3 piece rough-in in the basement. I am building a bathroom and as I prepare to do the framing work, I am wondering how much room do I leave from the rough-in toilet drain to the drywall? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Basement Rough-ins [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house that is 14 years old and it has rough in plumbing in the basement. One for the toilet and one for the shower. Also a stand pipe next to a wall which I assume is the vent. Does the rough in plumbing have the traps below the concrete flooring?

Basement rough [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there I have a question about 2 4" pipes coming out of basement slab... one is raised and on is flush... both ate capped and connect directly to street... I'm prettty sure raised one is clanot but not sure about other... both emmit strong gas when caps removed?

Basement rough-in: dap out [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out if my roughed in bath is missing something or not and wondering if I am going to have to redo any of my framing. I have the 4" and 2" drains in the toilet area and a 12"x12" dap out for the tub. Well I took the cover off the dap out to take...

View more questions Search