Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laugheveryday270 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Acting strange
    My dog is acting very strange. She has a toy that all of the sudden she won't leave alone. If she is away from the toy she gets very depressed. I've had her for 2 years and she's never acted like this before. It started about two days ago, and we've had the toy since December. What's wrong with her? :confused:
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Is she spayed? If not, it is possible that she is about to enter her heat and she is exhibiting maternal urges/instincts.

If it is causing you concern and she is not spayed, you might want to consider spaying her to stop the obsessive behavior. It is always a good idea for our dogs overall health to consider spaying if you aren't planning to breed.

If she is spayed, can you give us a bit more detail on what exactly she is doing with the toy? Our resident expert, Labman will stop by at some point I am sure, and weigh in with his opinion. He is very knowledgeable and may suggest something or see something that I don't.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2007, 07:55 PM
    It never hurts to start with a vet check up. You can continue to expect to see personality changes for another year. Much of a dog's personality and temperament are determined genetically and by socialization before 12 weeks. The personality continues to change and develop until 3 years old.

I once raised a German Shepherd puppy named Gretchen. Gretchen went away dog guide school at a year old. She was chosen as breeding stock, and I visited her almost year later in her new home. You should have seen her when I pulled her old dinosaur Nylabone out of my pocket. She jumped half way across the room. It had been a great favorite of hers. She never allowed visiting dogs to chew it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is acting strange... [ 5 Answers ]

In the past month my 8 year old cat, liddy has been acting very odd. Specifically within the past week she has been very seclusive. She rarely comes when we call her.. and she almost seems to ignore us! My first though was to take her to the vet.. I thought she might be losing some of her hearing.....

My cat is acting strange [ 12 Answers ]

My cat has recently lost about 4 pounds in a month. She used to be quite large (15 pounds) and very vocal and fun loving. Recently she has been secluding herself and living under my bed not coming out for anything. If you try to stroke her she kind of growls but sounds like she has no energy (she...

Kitten acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

This past weekend my husband and I took our kitten with us to my parents house. They have two adult cats who didn't seem aggressive toward my kitten but were not openly friendly either. They left her alone unless they thought she was invading their space and then would hiss. Other than that we...

My friends are acting strange [ 13 Answers ]

I have been close friends with a girl 'C' for a good 10yrs. Her boyfriend 'R' I have known for a good 5yrs but we only became good friends earlier this year when his marriage broke up and he started seeing one om other friends 'E'. 'R' & 'E' did not work out and they decided to split. 'R' text...

Cat has been acting strange [ 1 Answers ]

I've just started noticing a change in behavior in my 6 1/2 year old cat. He found a spot under the bed where he spends almost his entire day, except to come out to eat. He doesn't come out as normal when I get up or come home from work, won't come out for treats, won't come when called and...

View more questions Search