Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbevz Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2012, 05:48 PM
    I need help on Health care question.
    Summarize the purposes and provisions of HIPAA in one sentence. Also, explain how HIPAA relates to medical ethics and etiquette. What are some possible ramifications of a health care industry without HIPAA regulations.

Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
    It was a law passed to give people a unfounded and untrue feeling of safety about their health care information.

In general it provided the health care industry permission to share information among healthcare professionals. It merely controlled information given to non health care professions.

*** I am sure that will give you a F in your homework, since they want a great answer supporting the greatness of the law. That is not my opinion of its actual effectiveness.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 30, 2012, 05:56 PM
    We help with homework, we don't do it for you. This could easily take a good half hour to an hour, and that's knowing all about HIPAA already.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2012, 06:56 PM
    In a brief sentence HIPAA is meant to ensure the confidentiality of an individuals medical information. As re: your second point HIPAA is, leastwise purports to be, an extension of the physician/patient relationship; the inviolable confidentiality that attaches thereto by virtue of the Hippocratic Oath. "Whatever, in connection with my professional service, or not in connection with it, I see or hear, in the life of men, which ought not to be spoken of abroad, I will not divulge, as reckoning that all such should be kept secret....Those things which are sacred, are to be imparted only to sacred persons; and it is not lawful to impart them to the profane until they have been initiated into the mysteries of the science." This tenet is ethical, not legal.

In fact, HIPAA expands by statute, rather than limiting, those that may access medical information by imposing an unenforceable promise of "I won't tell" on persons that should otherwise have to legitimate access to the information concerned.

While Fr_Chuck's info is more pointed, I must agree with his conclusion.

As to the final point of your question, I'll leave that to your young mind. A lot rides on your interpretation of how far government may intrude into ethical and personal decision.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Feb 8, 2012, 01:48 PM
    When I come across blatant homework requests I'm so tempted to write an exaggerated answer to "help" the student get the F they deserve. :D

Something to think about when soliciting strangers for homework assistance over the Internet, eh, mbevz? ;)
    olddog1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Oct 8, 2013, 02:31 PM
    Some of us do not come looking to have our home work answered for us. Sometimes we just need a different opinion or view point when we get stuck on how to answer something. I am sure that all you smart asses have been in the same position as well.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 8, 2013, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog1 View Post
    Some of us do not come looking to have our home work answered for us. Sometimes we just need a different opinion or view point when we get stuck on how to answer something. I am sure that all you smart asses have been in the same position as well.
    TRUE! But the above person clearly was copying a homework assignment. We do help with homework here, but we don't write the entire paper for anyone. (And it was 8 months ago.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health and social care - hazards in health & social care settings [ 10 Answers ]

Explain the potential hazards in health and social care settings, you should include: 1. hazards: e.g. from workinh environment, working condition, poor staffing training, poor working practices, equipment, substance etc. 2. working environment: e.g. within an organisation's premises 3....

Health care & home care [ 2 Answers ]

How do I set up health care & Home care agency?

Health care [ 2 Answers ]

Is welfare the same as medicare ?

Forget Hillary care, what about School-Based "Health Care?" [ 37 Answers ]

Middle school in Maine to offer birth control pills, patches to pupils When I was in school about the only good school "health care" was for was a bandaid, an excuse to skip a class or a pan to puke in. What on earth (or in the constitution) gives public schools the right to prescribe drugs...

View more questions Search