Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trawets107 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2012, 01:33 PM
    Expand a 4' door opening to 5 1/2' opening on a loadbearing basement wall
    I have an unfinished basement that has a load bearing wall down the center of the basemant. It supports the center of the house. It runs 36 feet and perpendiculars into another load bearing wall. The 36 foot span has two 4 foot openings with 2 2x 8" headers in each opening. Both openings occur within 21 feet along the loadbearing wall. The house is 30 feet wide. The first 4 foot opening begins about 5' from the end of the wall, and the second ends at the 21' mark mentioned above. I want to expand the first 4 foot opening to 5 1/2 feet
    . Can I still use 2x8 headers?
    Thanks, Michael
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2012, 09:21 PM
    The 2x8 is not large enough for a 5 1/2 foot opening. Should be at least a double 2X10. U should also have a footing under the post holding supporting header. The footing should be 2 x 2 x 1 foot deep.

Chuck
    gbooy777 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 02:20 PM
    Chuck it right. I would probably go with a 4x10. This way you will not be concerned about properly straping/nailing this header together. If you don't have the room for a 4x10. You can go to a 4x8 paralam or gluelam if need be. These are stronger and allow you to use a smaller member

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert wall opening to door [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to convert 3 ft X 3 Ft opening on a wall to a doorway. There is a metal post coming through the sub floor to the steel "I" beam on the basement. This post is inside the wall adjacent to this opening. There is about a feet of wall above this opening; and about 4 feet of wall below...

Widening garage door opening in cinder block wall [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I got a dilemma, that is I have to increase a garage door opening from 7 feet to 12 feet and add a foot in height to the door (from 9 to 10). The wall is all cinder block which goes up to about 20 feet tall and 40 wide (it's an old refrigerator for apple crates ) now I know that the opening...

10 foot garage door opening,cut out of 12" block wall,from small 2 story commercial b [ 5 Answers ]

I cut out a 10' garage door opening in small commercial buliding(2 story,12" block) i have put and adequate steel header in place,but somebody told me i am to "tie-in" bothe ends of the header to the masonry... is this a requirement? Or is this just an option? Can anybody help me? Are...

Adding opening assist to basement door [ 6 Answers ]

I have an interior wooden basement door in my utility room that is too heavy for me to open by myself. How can I add an assist to opening this.

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search