Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
    Privacy, the Internet and info on AMHD
    There was recently a child of 14 who posted about having sex with her boyfriend - she gave her name AND her City AND I "found" her in less than a minute. I have no evil intent but someone else - ? It made me question whether some info posted by people who are underage should be somehow edited.

My experience today - My late husband's ID has been used to open charge accounts three times in the past four years. Every time the credit card company has given me a hard time - "How did anyone get his Social Security number?" I've always blamed hospital or ambulance personnel, believing that someone got his info out of his wallet (although I don't believe he carried his SS card). On a fifth occasion this WAS the case, and I was able to prove it, partly because the (stupid) EMT was wearing my husband's engraved watch the next time the ambulance was called to our home.

My argument to the credit card companies has always been, "He's deceased. Trust me, he is definitely not opening charge accounts."

Today I'm searching for someone as part of a job assignment, and I came across a site called ancientfaces. Just to see what's posted there I typed in my late husband's name. Up came his full name, date of birth, date of death - and his SS number in this manner 123-XX-4567. Our home address is listed, and I'm listed as his widow. Anyone interested in scoping out women who live alone has just been handed the keys to the kingdom.

Obviously the site is somewhat out of date, but...

How many combinations of those two "missing" numbers can there be? No wonder people are stealing each other's identity!

There is absolutely nothing to be done about the information posted on the Internet, but it is sobering.

At any rate - sobering stuff.

This is part editing question and part rant.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2012, 12:11 PM
    If you do death checks on social security death index, it gives you where they lived at death and their social security numbers, easy to find info on most dead people.

But yes, I have found livings peoples social security number in searches, have even found my cousins credit card number that was not properly protected by one book sales company.
    prwoowrp Posts: 20, Reputation: -2

Apr 1, 2012, 06:06 PM
    One would be astounded at the ease with which information can be gleaned about people online... to say nothing of the extra effort one could put into it using real world techniques.

Even creepier is the realization that you may not even realize they are watching. Or who they are.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 1, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Obituaries list a woman's maiden name plus her surviving offspring. Her maiden name that can be the answer to her offsprings' security question.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2012, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Obituaries list a woman's maiden name plus her surviving offspring. Her maiden name that can be the answer to her offsprings' security question.

I just read in one of my professional magazines that maiden names - yours, your mother's - are the most often used security passwords.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2012, 11:09 AM
    What is privacy really? The internet has too much information when it comes to personal information and sites like Google are ramping up to take any privacy you thought you had and take it away for distribution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dangerous Privacy Ground? Former Employer's Unsolicited Info [ 18 Answers ]

Point of curiosity here, so please don't skip someone in true need in order to answer me. I've been searching the net for days now but can't find specific information on the limitations of what a former employer can divulge to a new one without leaving himself open to privacy or defamation issues....

I need info about the internet business without investment [ 2 Answers ]

Send correct and good answer how to start the internet business without investment

Internet contact info [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find out the email addresses of corporations, businesses, politicians, heads of governments overseas, movie stars, recording celebrities, etc. I consider myself politically active and would like to contact these individuals and businesses to urge support for social issues, but want...

Need info on health Care privacy practices [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know where I can find info on health care privacy practices. I think mine have been violated. My workmans comp sent my whole psychiatric Evaluation to my place of employment, for anyone to read it bascially. Any info on this matter would help. Thanks Jen

View more questions Search