Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Princess-IMYM Posts: 239, Reputation: 6

Jan 29, 2012, 05:40 PM
    How do I tell someone that we've picked someone else to live with?
    My friends an I recently signed a contract for a 5 bedroom house to rent next year, but there are only 4 of us, so we put out an advert and have shown people the house and it has come down to two people. We haven't decided which one we'll choose yet but obviously we'll have to tell the one we don't that we've chosen the other person; it also turns out they're friends.
    I'm going to be the one who tells them that they haven't been chosen and I'm not very good with letting people down without being absolutely brutally honest, I wouldn't have a problem with that but somehow turning around and saying "we liked him/her better" is just a bit too harsh for my liking. So is there something else I could say or a nicer way to say it?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Feb 9, 2012, 12:27 PM
    You can be totally honest by simply saying "I'm sorry but we've decided to ask another person to be our roommate. Thank you for your interest"

If the person presses the issue, you can simply add that you felt it was a better "personality fit". No one would want to live with someone they wouldn't get along with so it's completely understandable.
    Swiss_Ms.B Posts: 59, Reputation: 17

Feb 17, 2012, 01:38 AM
    I understand that because these are friends you are going to report back to, you don't want to let them down. And you don't want to lose them as friends over this.
    Make sure, before you all decide, that you have clear criteria for who you all choose. Basing your choice on 'who you like better' is not necessarily wise, since all of them are friends.
    Then you can say 'someone else was more suitable for the criteria the whole group agreed on'. If this is still 'bad' to say, then I suppose a white lie won't hurt... 'It was a draw and someone else lucked out, sorry'.
    This is obviously your challenge to be diplomatically honest. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Picked up while on probation! [ 2 Answers ]

I was picked up in a different county then I live in Wisconsin. I was being charged with domestic battery and disordly. Then the police siad it was being referred to the da office and they called madison doc and they where not putting me on a hold. Nothing zip nill . Did the cops give me a...

Being Picked on [ 3 Answers ]

Ok SO I am well technically a loner and no one ever likes to hang out with me no body likes me and a lot of guys especially pick on me! They sometimes try and stick gum in my hair and some just slam the door in my face I told my technically and teachers but they can never catch them doing it so I...

I'm getting picked on! [ 8 Answers ]

hi my names maddie and 1m 12 years old. I get picked on at school for having hairy arms and legs.. . but I think its groos as well and I really want to keeep up a schedule for waxing, I wax. but then I forget, I try t ignore people but it still gets to me. but its disgusting I get hairs on my...

I've picked the runt [ 3 Answers ]

Please help I've picked the runt of the litter of kittens and I've heard bad things did I do the wrong thing?

View more questions Search