Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srmcg Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Form 8938 - is foreign mortgage a " foreign financial asset"?
    HI,

I am very unclear on this new form.
    I know I have to fill out the FBAR and have foreign bank accounts that amount to about $20k in total.

I also have a foreign property that I rent out full time and have a foreign mortgage on the property to which the payments are made in that country. Everything regarding it happens in that country. Nothing comes from the US.

I am married and filing jointly so I believe I have to have go over $100k in "foreign financial assets" in order to be required to file form 8938 - so it looks like I don't have to file it with the $20k in my bank accounts.

I understand the property itself is a tangible asset and not a foreign financial asset.
    Ok. Then what about the mortgage?

Can someone please help me understand what I need to do?
    Is the foreign mortgage considered a "foreign financial asset"? Do I need to complete this form?

Thanks
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
    The mortgage is a liability rather than an asset. Since it is not an asset, it cannot be a foreign financial asset.

However, you should take a look at Form 1042 and W-8BEN.

Jan 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
    Thanks for the clarification.
    So I take it I therefore do not need to submit Form 8938.

Why look at Form 1042?
    Why do I need to file that?

It is a foreign mortgage and foreign bank. It is a double taxation treaty country which has a 0% agreement. I have a W-8BEN form from them too.

Jan 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
    PS. I am not claiming mortgage interest deduction - just as expense on schedule E
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
    Actually, the Form 8938 cutoff is $50,000, but, as IntlTax noted, your mortgage is a liability, and the house itself is a capital asset, not a financial asset.

Based on those facts, you have NO requirement to file Form 8938.

Jan 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
    Thanks very much ATE for your input.

One thing - just for others information. The cut off as I read it is in fact $100,000 - married and filing jointly
    This is from IRS website: http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8938/ch01.html

Married taxpayers filing a joint income tax return and living in the United States. If you are married and you and your spouse file a joint income tax return and do not live abroad, you satisfy the reporting threshold only if the total value of your specified foreign financial assets is more than $100,000 on the last day of the tax year or more than $150,000 at any time during the tax year.

Married taxpayers filing separate income tax returns and living in the United States. If you are married, file a separate income tax return from your spouse, and do not live abroad, you satisfy the reporting threshold only if the total value of your specified foreign financial assets is more than $50,000 on the last day of the tax year or more than $75,000 at any time during the tax year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Interesting! This is a NEW requirement this year, and I was told $50,000. However, your source of information CANNOT be impreached, so I must agree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Specified foreign financial assets (SFFA) Form 8938 [ 1 Answers ]

All U.S. citizens and residents who have foreign accounts and foreign assets must be aware of another filing requirement Form 8938 besides Form Form TD F 90-22.1 Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts and many other forms. The form is currently in draft stage and non filing penalities are as...

"foreign" qualifications on my resume [ 10 Answers ]

I am from England and have recently relocated to the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia after spending the past 2 years traveling. To supplement my travel I worked in hospitality. Now I'm settling down I am looking to return to my roots in an administrative role. However, I am really struggling...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

How to fill out the "entry date" and "Length of stay" of W-7 form? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My parents first entered US in Sep 2007, and then left in Jan 2008; then re-entered in Feb 2008, and left in Aug 2008. How to fill out the "entry date" and "Length of stay" of W-7 form for this? 1) for "Entry Date", which entry date should be used? 2) for "Length of stay", I need to...

Part year "foreign income" [ 1 Answers ]

I am U.S. citizen, and I earned most of my money for a U.S.-based company while I was in the U.S. from January to June 2007 (>$10,000 U.S.). From October 2007 to December 2007, I earned money in Thailand (<$2000 U.S) for a non-U.S. based company (I began working for a new company and this money...

View more questions Search