Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snjfarms Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2004, 09:27 AM
    Best protection for SPY?
    My husband and I recently got a spy virus on our new computer. We were somehow able to "back-date" the computer, so it made it like it was when we first bought it, and now no more pop-up's... which is good. But sometimes we will try to go to a website and an error message will come up saying we don't have enough memory to view that website. Computer is brand new, and we don't have much on it, except a few pictures... could this still be the spy virus? If so, what is the best program to get to get rid of it and protect our computer in the future?

Thanks! :o

SNJFarms
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 21, 2004, 01:23 PM
    Sigh- here we go again.

Download and install (and use them, of course):
    SPYBOT (search and destroy) - free
    ADAWARE (Lavasoft) - free
    Grisoft's free virus scanner (http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php)
    And keep them up-to-date.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 5, 2004, 09:25 PM
    I would try The Spyware-Adware Removal Kit or Giant AntiSpyware... both of which are available at the link below.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2004, 07:00 AM
    SpyWare
    Hi,
    Congratulations on the new computer!
    Unfortunately, just about anywere you go on the web, we are subject to Spyware/Advertising programs getting into the computer's Registry; hard drive.
    There are 2 great free programs that you can download and install, that will scan your computer, and you can delete everything it finds. It will "cure" you of spyware.

Here are the links:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

Best wishes,
    fredg
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 18, 2005, 07:32 PM
    More things to try
    For Spyware protection and general help cleaning up the computer and registry I recommend,

The following files, as I have found 1 or even 2 is not always enough, as 1 may find

Something the others do not, so protect yourself with several programs, if may be a pain,

But a needed one.

Spyware
    Microsoft New SPyware program-Formerly Giant spyware, they bought it out.
    Spysweeper
    Spybot search and destroy
    Adware SE
    Aluria's Spyware Eliminator
    Spyhunter
    &
    Spyware Blaster, this one prevents certain items, before they are even installed, it does

Not clean.

I would suggest at the very least 3 or more of the above programs.

Registry and Fix and Repair programs
    Fix it Utilities 5 this one has an excellent Scandisk, better than the one with your OS
    Advanced System Optimizer
    Ace Utilities
    System Mechanic 5

Any 2 or more of these.

And download the Google toolbar with built in pop up stopper for your browser is good.

And a good solid Anti Virus Program or 2, updated weekly.
    PC-Cillin
    AVG Anti Virus
    Bitdefender
    Etrust EZ Anti virus

I would suggest using 2 of these.

A good defragging Program or 2
    Diskeeper Lite
    Perfect Disk.

Also run from Start/run type in chkdsk then let that run then type in chkdsk /f to help fix

WinXP errors.

Also use the below website, that tests and reviews some for the best programs out for many

Different things, they give you side by side comparisons and rate each one in many

Categories.
    http://www.toptenreviews.com/
    jfish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2005, 10:53 AM
    Hi,

I agree that spybot and AdAware are good free products to prevent and detect Spyware, but you should also look at Microsoft's free AntiSpyware product located at http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

You don't need to purchase expensive software when there are good free products available. I might mention that Microsoft has not stated that this software will be free when the production version is released, but for now it is a good option. I had better luck with this software cleaning stubborn Spyware such as Coolwebsearch which Spybot and AdAware could not handle.

There is a web site that I ran across that also has free on-line scanning tools for virus and Spyware... http://www.thesecurityguide.com
    I have used the site when I did not have a Spyware scanner installed. It worked as well as the Microsoft beta software... also free. Hope this helps.

Joe
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2005, 03:11 AM
    Spyware
    Hi,
    Jfish has some good suggestions.
    Personally, have not tried MS AntiSpyware program.
    But, do know that SpyWare Blaster is a great program, and is free.
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

It integrates with Internet Explorer, Restricted Zones, as well as other browsers. It can be updated regularly with anti-spyware definitions, and does not require scanning. It stops stuff before it gets into the computer. Since using it for months, have not had any spyware/advertising programs.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asset Protection [ 2 Answers ]

I am probably going to be sued in the near future because of an auto accident which was my fault. I had no insurance and it was a rental car. Is there any way to protect my assets? I have a savings account but it is for my retirement...

Write protection [ 3 Answers ]

What does write protection mean on a cd-rw? I'm trying to burn and it says it is write-protected.

Protection [ 4 Answers ]

Can I protect folders?

Protection of outsourcing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I have a question - how one's money paid for web-site development in another country can be protected (except ensurance)? :confused:

View more questions Search