Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 29, 2012, 02:40 PM
    Ignition key, not releasing
    Greetings,

I have a 2003, Ford Windstar Van.

Yesterday, when I shut the car down, the ignition key would not rotate back to it's release position.

The key is locked into the switch and has to be left in the car.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2012, 03:15 PM
    . Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.

. Check the Transmission Range Sensor, if the problem persists. It may not be reading when the transmission is in Park.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
    Greetings,

How stands the Republic of Texas?

We lived in Watuga (N.E. Ft. Worth) back in 1991.

I do not know of any under the hood fuses, but I do know where the under the dash fuses are.

Also, please let me know where the "Transmission Range Sensor" is and how to test it.

Thanks,

Don
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
    ROT is doing well. The TRS is located under the hood, which your transmission linkage goes to. You may be able to get an alignment tool and see if that's the problem. If not, you can try replacing it, since it's a fairly high wear item. I don't know how to really test it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot remove ignition key [ 1 Answers ]

My father-in-law took his 97 chevy blazer to oil change place and now cannot turn key all the way back to the off and steering wheel lock position. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, Denman

Stuck key in ignition [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 95 bmw 318 and for the last two days I've been unable to get the key out of the ignition. I just got the car from a friend and I'm hoping I'm missing something rather than taking it to the dealership.

Key stuck in ignition [ 5 Answers ]

My car key gets stuck in my ignition alllll the time.. it is VERY annoying because I have to sit there until it decides to come out so the battery doesn't go dead lol.. When I put the key in the ignition to turn the car on, I have to give it a little wiggle to get it to turn. Then, when I'm...

Key will not come out of the ignition. [ 1 Answers ]

I took my Jeep to have turn signals checked .They were working sometimes sometimes not. They replaced the flasher which was under the dash . After I took the car home I can not get the key out. Of course the repair shop is closed any ideas . I have tried moving into park several times . It will...

Key stuck in ignition [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn off the car the key will not pull out from the ignition. The wheels will turn when they shouldn't. Any ideas?

View more questions Search