Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beth1974 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2012, 04:12 PM
    When does gestational sac form
    I had intercourse a week ago, can an ultrasound already show the sac in my uterus or is it to early. Would it even show pregnancy. I had an ultrasound and it showed a sac already/
    nitelight198073 Posts: 470, Reputation: 76

Jan 28, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Hmm unlikely, here is more information if you need it.http://http://www.babyandbump.com/pr...ta-attach.html
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
    One week after intercourse would be too early to see a gestational sac, or to determine a pregnancy. For many women, implantation is not yet complete at that time. What sort of ultrasound did you have done? Why did you have it done?

Jan 29, 2012, 11:31 AM
    I had a positive home pregnancy test so I went to the doctor and had an transvaginal ultrasound. How long would it be before the sac would show? I also had intercourse two weeks before that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2012, 11:33 AM
    That's too early - are you saying you've only had sex twice. Once, a week ago. Again, two weeks before that?

Jan 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
    Yes Judykaytee only twice. On January 17th about midnight so almost the 18th and had the test and ultrasound the morning of the 26th. So I guess 8 days? But I also had sex January 5th or 6th.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
    The gestational sac may sometimes be seen when you are a few weeks pregnant, or several weeks from your last period. You would have already been pregnant from the previous sex if you had a positive test result and already saw the sac on a scan.

Jan 29, 2012, 12:05 PM
    Thanks DoulaLc. I was several weeks from my last period but I suppose the time of sex is what determines what shows right. 8 days after sex would anything show? So your saying I got pregnant the 5th or 6th?
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
    No, eight days after sex would not show anything definite just yet on the ultrasound... certainly not a gestational sac. The earliest some women might get a positive on a pregnancy test is about 8 days after ovulation, the vast majority of women would not... and that is from ovulation, which is often not the same day as when you had sex.

I'm not sure if the concern is due to having been with two different people, but if you had sex with someone just a week ago, and also with someone a couple of weeks before that... the person you had sex with a few weeks ago would be the father.

What did the doctor say when you had the scan done? Did they say about how far along the pregnancy is?

Jan 29, 2012, 02:05 PM
    The Dr said 3 1/2 to 4 weeks which I assume means 2 weeks since intercourse. I have a picture of the ultrasound and he said the small apot was a small sac and that's all he said. He said it wasn't likely from a week ago. I am concerned because of two people, my husband and I split and I had that night a week ago with a friend because I was devastated but now were going to reunite if this is my husbands. He is who I had sex with two weeks prior to a week ago.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Normally we would tell someone in this sort of situation that a DNA test would be necessary after baby is born to determine who the father is, but under these circumstances it is clear that your husband is the father.

I hope the reconciliation goes well and that you have a smooth and joyful pregnancy.

Jan 29, 2012, 06:31 PM
    Thanks again DoulaLC, you have confirmed everything I have read so far. I will still worry about this for awhile but I do feel somewhat better knowing that 8 days after sex couldn't produce these results. I love my Husband and thank you for the information and well wishes!

Jan 30, 2012, 05:09 PM
    Hey DoulaLC, thanks for all your info but I have one more question if you could help. I had a blood test Saturday which was about 10 days after intercource for my last time and about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks since intercource with my husband. My Hcg levels came back at about 1300, is this still consistent with everything you have told me?
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2012, 03:07 AM
    Hi beth1974,

Yes, your level would definitely put your husband as the father. IF you had happened ovulate the day you had sex the second time, you would likely not even have enough hcg to register when you had the pregnancy test.

Feb 1, 2012, 10:03 PM
    Hey DoulaLC, I went back to the Dr today and he said I was 5 weeks (3 weeks) and that my yolk sac had developed in the gestational sac. He said my conception date was between Jan 4th and 10th! Me and my husband were together 1st and 5th or 6th! I think this continues to go along with what you have said already. Just wanted to give you an update and hear your thoughts. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 03:25 PM
    Congratulations! I am happy to hear that your dates are as you would like them to be. I hope you and your husband are able to work on whatever had caused the difficult time that you had. I also hope that you learned a valuable lesson in making wise decisions, which is even more important when you are upset or in a vulnerable state of mind.

Do come back if you have any questions as your pregnancy progresses.

Feb 2, 2012, 05:38 PM
    Thank you! You have been a great help! Do these dates go along with what you have told me already? I'm guessing the daters are fairly accurate from my Dr, would you say? There will always be the thought but I think my mind can be at ease knowing all this you have told me and the Dr as well? I have learned a valuable lesson to not act when emotions are that high, I think we will work this out and everything will be great.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 06:34 PM
    I think you can be comforted in knowing that your husband is the father. Quite a roller coaster of emotions the last several weeks, no doubt. Now you can focus on having a healthy pregnancy and baby! Enjoy your pregnancy... :)
    gandhali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2012, 06:22 AM
    Hi I have done blood test to confirmed my pregnancy so it was postitive but when I went for scanning my radiologist said that it might be very early pregnancy so after 1 week but my Dr. said that I am having ectopic pregnancyso I don't know what is true so could you please help me. My last period was 8th August 2012.

Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2012, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gandhali View Post
    hi i have done blood test to confirmed my pregnancy so it was postitive but when i went for scanning my radiologist said that it might be very early pregnancy so after 1 week but my Dr. said tht i am having ectopic pregnancyso i dont know wht is true so could you plz help me. my last period was 8th august 2012.

thank you.

Think about this - the Radiologist who saw the scan said it might be an early pregnancy. The Doctor who examined you said it might be an ectopic pregnancy.

If professionals who have seen your lab work, examined you, don't know - who would we?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small gestational sac in relation to fetal pole size [ 0 Answers ]

Lmp 8/11/2011 Gestational age 7w2d CRL 12mm Heartbeat 155bpm

Questionable viability of gestational sac [ 1 Answers ]

I had a transvaginal ultrasound after I experienced bleeding three days ago. I am five weeks pregnant. The result said, "questionable viability of gestational sac." I also experience pain in my lower back, and stabbing pain in my right lower abdomen. Am I having a troubled pregnancy? What do I need...

Gestational sac with no fetal pole [ 2 Answers ]

My question is about a gestational and yolk sac with no fetal pole. I am about 4 weeks pregnant. My hcg level was at 7,000. Ive had 2 ultrasounds because they thought with the first one I had an ectopic pregnancy, she could only see the yolk sac. But that was ruled out. My question is, when should...

View more questions Search