Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2012, 04:23 AM
    Whether that theory is correct or not, and I'm not sure it is, is really moot. The fact that either V1 or V2 had to change lanes to avoid D1, indicates D1 did not have enough space to make the turn and acted in an unsafe manner.

From previous accounts, it would appear that V1 and V2 were in adjacent lanes, not the same one. This would be borne out by the fact that there were three lanes and no other traffic so there was no reason for V2 to be in the same lane and tailgating V1. My theory is more that V2 was slightly behind and to the curbside of V1. At that angle he didn't see D1 until V1 swerved to avoid D1.

But that still means that D1 did not have enough space to make the turn. This is also complicated by the fact that D1 was making a right turn, which means V1 and V2 could have been in her blind spot since she was facing in the same direction. But that doesn't excuse D1 it just means she should have been more cautious.

I'm just trying to give you the perspective of what would happen if this claim to court.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... The fact that either V1 or V2 had to change lanes to avoid D1, indicates D1 did not have enough space to make the turn and acted in an unsafe manner.
    My theory is that neither V1 nor V2 changed lanes to avoid D1. V1 was merrily changing lanes at random (as I see many drivers do here). V2 changed lanes because V1 did.

... My theory is more that V2 was slightly behind and to the curbside of V1. At that angle he didn't see D1 until V1 swerved to avoid D1. ...
    And, if so, wouldn't have any place to go. He couldn't change lanes to his left. At least until he braked a bit.

I'm just trying to give you the perspective of what would happen if this claim to court.
    I appreciate that. I am leaning toward just paying the fine. But I have to convince her. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2012, 06:44 AM
    These are called "looked but didn't see" accidents. I've done it, too - you look at oncoming traffic and for whatever reason either don't see a vehicle or two or focus on the third vehicle, never seeing the first two.

What would I do? Try to plead this down to something else to avoid the points.

Unless a witness has something really helpful to say I don't think speculation will help in Court. It very well might help with insurance claims - but not traffic court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2012, 06:51 AM
    As far as the fine for the ticket goes. I agree with a plea bargain to reduce the points and/or amount of the fine.

I'm more thinking of damage claims against insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insecure issues and trust issues [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 20 years old and was touched as a child. My dad wasn't there so I feel like no man will ever love me. I don't really have a hard time find one I just have a hard time keeping one. I feel like I push them away with my trust issues and insert. I want a relationship so bad but I'm not sure if I'm...

Determining accident fault? -my parked car involved in multi car parking lot accident [ 15 Answers ]

What happens in a parking lot accident scenario: Car 1 driving (fast) hits Car 2 that is backing out of the parking lot. Car 2 because of the impact now hits Car 3 and Car 4 which were parked to Car 2s' left and right respectively. I have Car 5 and was parked to Car 3's left. My car (Car 5)...

Errection issues or Attraction issues [ 3 Answers ]

Folks! - I have a problem. I'm 26, my girlfriend is 20 - We both hold eastern values (for the most part) and I've been with her for about 1 year now - we've been having regular sex everyday pretty much for about 8/9 months now - and by regular sex I mean sex every day, sometimes couple of times...

View more questions Search