Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heyya0016 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
    Why can't I remember what I've studied anymore?
    I'm 17 and a 1st year college student. During exams I usually can't remember what I've memorized. When I was younger I used to just read my book once and I could understand what I've studied and I would get high marks on my exams. But now, I would read my note like 5 times already but nothing happens. I could no longer focus on studying. And also, lately, I keep forgetting what the right words to say when I'm talking. Or I would completely forget everything that I am trying to say, I don't feel nervous but I really forget. I also tend to forget the meanings of even the simplest words in the dictionary. I don't know, I just think that something's terribly gone wrong in my head. Ugh. I hate this.
    britsmak Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Jan 28, 2012, 09:14 AM
    If you put together this question by yourself, you still have most of your reasoning ability. This is likely a reaction to stress associated with a new environment, responsibilities and friends. I am a lot older and know that this happened during my recent employment in a high profile job with high possibility of public failure. Now I am not working, and things have changed for the better.

You may be trying to carry too big a load in college this semester. Some classes are very demanding of your time and work production. If so, talk to your advisor and consider dropping one class. If you are trying to perform on too little sleep, this will happen also. Going out, partying, late nights. etc. will take away much of your energy and performance ability. If none of this works, after a few weeks, see a doctor to check out more rare problems. Doing these things first will eliminate his first suggestions and let him go further in diagnosing your needs.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Feb 19, 2012, 11:33 AM
    I agree with Britsmak for the most part. You are probably reacting to the increased load and the decreased sleep and improper diet. If you've taken on drinking as an extra-curricular, that could be contributing.

But you also need suggestions to get past this. I would suggest you try the following:

1. Set a regular bedtime/wakeup schedule and stick to it. It's tempting not to. Believe me, I know! Same with meals. No late-night snacks, particularly of salty food. All of these factors have been associated with greater information retention and better overall mental function.

2. Limit alcohol consumption. Don't just put it off to the weekend. Limit yourself overall. Your brain will continue to develop until you're 23 or so, and it needs all the cells it can get.

3. When you study, try to keep something familiar in front of you that you can glance at as you work. I know this sounds strange, but believe me, this is a cute trick. Put your watch (or something else that would not be out of place on your desk during an exam) on the table in front of you and glance at it as you mentally recite the information. During the exam, put the watch in the same spot on your desk and glance at it. Sometimes you'll find the information will pop back into your head thanks to the dis-inhibition connection to this cue object.

4. When you study, say the information aloud. In high school you had ample input through all of your senses thanks to your teachers and the way the system is structured. This multi-modal approach helped you solidify the information into long-term memory. You don't have as much of that now, so you need to do it for yourself. Read, Say, Write, Say, then Write again. If you can read into a recorder and play it back, that's super cool for auditory learners.

5. The last thing you read or recite before you go to sleep will continue to work its way through your brain in a latent learning process, so rather than end your night with TV or music, try reading the tough stuff once through just before you turn out the lights.

6. Okay... I know this is a really long answer, but bear with me through one more, okay? Have you ever tried self-hypnosis? Lie down in a quiet, dark room. Take five deep breaths, releasing each slowly and letting your mind go quiet while you do that. Next, focus your attention on your toes. Clench, hold, release. Move up to your calves, your knees, your thighs, then out to your fingers. Cover your whole body this way, ending with your face--make a lion face, hold, then relax. Now put into your head the thought that you are a successful student and you will continue to succeed. Go to sleep. You should feel relaxed, rested, and more positive in the morning.

Good night, and good luck!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 11:46 AM
    In addition to the excellent advice Schoolmarm gave you, make flash cards throughout the semester, especially for the courses that demand a lot of facts to be memorized. If you don't know how to do this, please ask. It's a wonderful way to review each chapter and then review for quizzes and tests.
    heyya0016 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 09:14 AM
    Thank you so much for your answers! Lately, I've been doing well in my studies and I really feel happy about it. I hope it continues this way. Thank you for all of your advice and I'll try my best to follow them:) :"> god bless everyone!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 09:52 AM
    Please report back and let us know how things are going!
    Glenn_slo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2013, 09:50 AM
    I have the same problem and I'm taking only two courses now. One of which is Intro to Logic (the other is very easy and doesn't involve much studying).

I don't smoke, I don't consume alcohol, I have a fairly regular sleep schedule, and a reasonably healthy diet that includes veggies and fruit. I also go out cycling 6-8 miles daily.

In spite of all this, I still have huge trouble absorbing the material I read. Especially the Logic stuff. I find it rather confusing, inconsistent and hard to understand. The only reason I'm taking it is because I need it as a transfer requirement.

I do the homework regularly, which is really more for 'practice,' and improving the skills needed for the class. Still, when I do the exercises and go back over them for practice, I feel like I'm just going through the motions without absorbing the info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Living in GA but studied & worked in Chicago.. How to file tax refund? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I grew up in GA and still my residency is in GA. I went to a college in Chicago and got a job at school. It is not a big money so I considered using "free e-filing." However I am confused that whether I need to file federal and state (both IL and GA) taxes. Any expert help me!

I have studied in the you.S. For five years. Do I still need to file 8843 form? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I studied in the U.S. in year 2003 as an exchange student in high school on J-1 visa. I have been studying on F-1 visa at university since 2007. My question is, 1)Do I have to file Form 8843 for all those years including 2003 when I was in high school? 2)I think my status has changed from...

I can't remember the title of a movie anymore, but I remember the storyboard [ 7 Answers ]

The movie begins with a man (the acter is Will Smith) and his son. He is a normal guy with his own problems but suddenly he gets fired and loses his own home and doesn't know how to survive. But later he is getting back in the normal lifestyle and eventually starts his own company, then he sels it...

Anyone ever studied w/ Penn Foster or Stratford Career Institute? [ 3 Answers ]

Wuzup, I'm a 23 year old fashion designer wannabe (read my other posts, please). I know how to draw, but am not that good at sewing. I'm currently taking a sewing class at a local fabric store (Hancock Fabrics) but it's not enough for me, because it's so short!! Wednesdays only for 5 weeks (1 day...

View more questions Search