Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vandana Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 11:08 AM
    F1 Visa & Form 8843
    Hi,

Up to now, I believed that when you are on F1 visa, it's mandatory for you to file form 8843 unless you qualify as a resident on the basis of 5 years stay in US.

But, I read an FAQ as follow.

What happens if the student doesnʼt file the form 8843?
    If Form 8843 is not filed, the alien canʼt exclude their days of presence from the SPT. This could mean that they will be viewed as a resident alien for tax purposes. They would have to report all of their world-wide income on the U.S. tax return and they may not be able to claim their treaty benefits.

This is on the following link.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4152.pdf

I have couple of questions.

1) If I don't want to declare myself as a Non Resident, is it legally possible to do so, by not filing 8843?

2) If not, does non filing of 8843 affects me while applying for H1 or Green card?

Further, I read following section in Form 8843.

Penalty for Not Filing Form 8843
    If you do not file Form 8843 on time, you may not exclude the days you were
    Present in the United States as a professional athlete or because of a medical condition or medical problem that arose while you were in the United States. Failure to exclude days of
    Presence in the United States could result in your being considered a U.S. resident under the substantial presence test.

You will not be penalized if you can show by clear and convincing evidence that you took reasonable actions to become aware of the filing requirements and significant steps to comply with.

Does that mean same as what that FAQ states?

Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2007, 11:25 AM
    The FAQs were poorly-worded, as that implies that you can benefit by not complying with U.S. tax law as it applies to foreign nationals.

That is NOT the case!

If you were under an F-1 visa and failed to file Form 8843, you cannot exempt the F-1 days from SPT. However, the SPT by itself does not determine your residency status.

Further, you cannot take advantage of the system and intentionally not file the Form 8843 with the intent of qualifying for resident alien status in hopes of claiming certain credits (lke Education, Child Tax and Earned Income) that are normally NOT available to non-resident aliens.

To do so is TAX FRAUD, which is a serious crime that can get you deported!
    fernando78 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandana
    Hi,

Upto now, I believed that when you are on F1 visa, it's mandatory for you to file form 8843 unless you qualify as a resident on the basis of 5 years stay in US.

But, I read an FAQ as follow.

What happens if the student doesnʼt file the form 8843?
    If Form 8843 is not filed, the alien canʼt exclude their days of presence from the SPT. This could mean that they will be viewed as a resident alien for tax purposes. They would have to report all of their world-wide income on the U.S. tax return and they may not be able to claim their treaty benefits.

This is on the following link.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4152.pdf

I have couple of questions.

1) If I don't want to declare myself as a Non Resident, is it legally possible to do so, by not filing 8843?

2) If not, does non filing of 8843 affects me while applying for H1 or Greencard?

Further, I read following section in Form 8843.

Penalty for Not Filing Form 8843
    If you do not file Form 8843 on time, you may not exclude the days you were
    present in the United States as a professional athlete or because of a medical condition or medical problem that arose while you were in the United States. Failure to exclude days of
    presence in the United States could result in your being considered a U.S. resident under the substantial presence test.

You will not be penalized if you can show by clear and convincing evidence that you took reasonable actions to become aware of the filing requirements and significant steps to comply with.

Does that mean same as what that FAQ states?

Thanks in advance.
    That's a pretty good observation by Vandana. In these form's instructions it seems like being treated as a NR is actually advantageous, and that they would prefer to treat everybody as US Citizens. Or that they don't mind to treat you as US citizen for tax purposes.
    Vandana Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Thanks a lot.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2007, 11:55 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 8843 and OPT [ 4 Answers ]

I have been all year 2006 under OPT. I understand I have to fill 1040NR and form 8843. Form 8843 indicates to list the University attended and if there was any application to change status to that of a lawful permanent resident. Do I indicate the university I graduated from even though I did not...

Form 8843 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on a F1 Visa and I didn't file the form 8843 for 2004 thinking I shouldn't do anything since I had no income. Is there anyway I can rectify this. Please help me. Thanks Lokesh.

Did not file Form-8843 for 2003-2004. OPT-H1 2005 Tax Need Help [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I came to US in 2002 as F1 student.I filed the 8843 Form for the 2002 and after that some how I missed all the consecutive years 8843 forms, since I had no employment.Now I have graduated in Dec 2004 and then started working on OPT until dec 31st 2005.My H1 started on 1st...

Can I file my previous years form 8843 now [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question, I was a foreign student in US till 2003. I filled my first tax return in year 2001 because I had an income at that time. After that assuming I don't have to file because I didn't have an income in year 2002 and 2003 I did not file any return nor I filled the form 8843....

L-1 Visa Tax form [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All I am from India and I recently started working for a company on L-1( Intra company exchange visa). My date of joining was 13th December, and my L-1 got approved on 5th December 2005. I am not sure which form should I file, or Should I even file taxes as I have received only one pay...

View more questions Search