Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WR1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2004, 08:27 PM
    Leak from upstairs shower drain
    My house is about 2 years old and the original owner had an extra upstairs bathroom installled by a plumber rather than the builder. The shower is used infrequently and I noticed a leak on the first floor ceiling today. Should I expect the plumber to honor the work after a 1 1/2 years and prior to my purchase? Should I trust the plumber since they didn't get it right the first time or search for a new one?

I unscrewed the chrome drain cover and noticed the white PVC pipe moves up and down several inches. It seems like the pipe needs to be stationary so that the brass ring creates a good seal against the rubber gasket. I'm thinking because it's a fiberglass tub that even if I tightened down the ring when someone steps in the tub, the pipe would move down slightly thus creating a leak again. I'm trying to avoid cutting into the ceiling drywall until I figure out the next course of action. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    WR
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 21, 2004, 06:06 AM
    Leaky shower drain
    You can attempt to replace the neoprene ring if you can get to it but my take on this is that the shower drain should have been glued in instead of using a neoprene compression ring that left the trap stubup floating. Law Supply Inc. http://www.lawsupply.net/odds_ends/drains/ has a selection of shower drains. You have a type DRP-SP9 no Caulk Shower Drain, (third one down) If the plumber had installed one of the glue in drains pictured in one and two we wouldn't be having this conversation. To repair this problem you're going to have to bite the bullet and open up the ceiling and do one of two things. Repair or replace. My advice? Replace with a glue in shower drain. The original work is out of warranty so calling back the plumber will just result in more expense. However replacing a shower drain, especially one you don't have to cut out, is a simple job. If you want to tackle it yourself I can walk you through the process. At the same time you open up the ceiling you can look for ways to shore or block up the shower floor so it doesn't give when you step into it. Surely the drain could have been installed better but too much time has passed to fret about it now. You have two options here. You can call in a plumber to do the work or do it yourself. If you opt to replace it yourself click on back. Your call! Cheers, Tom

Nov 21, 2004, 02:26 PM
    Made the cut
    Speedball,
    Thanks for the earlier advice.

I made the cut and was going to include a picture from underneath, but the jpeg file size is too large (200K) to upload. In any case it was probably a good idea to air out the area to avoid potential mold problems later on.

One problem I noticed with replacement is the drain edge is sitting right on top one of the trusses. Without cutting into the truss I don't think it's going to be easy to remove. I'm thinking more about repair rather than replacement due to this issue. If I can get the neoprene ring out and a new one installed how far should it sit above the lip of the drain pipe?

One thing I forgot to mention is the drain pipe edge was not cut evenly so there are indentations that are at least 1/16 of an inch deep in spots.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 21, 2004, 04:33 PM
    Leaky shower drain
    You aren't going to have too much choice here. To get to the neoprene ring you will have to remove the nut that secures the drain body to the shower floor and lift the drain out. You may have to trim the floor joist to remove the drain. The inside of the drain body should have a groove that the ring fits into. If I had to guess, the installer didn't coat the outside of the ring with silicon jell so that it wouldn't bind and roll out of the groove causing your leak.
    If nothing's hung up on the stub up then I wouldn't worry. What material is the drain and the pipes? Regards Tom

Nov 21, 2004, 06:29 PM
    Tom,
    Everything is PCV except for the brass ring that tightens down to the seal. You are probably right about the neoprene ring binding on the install. From below it looks like the ring is compressed on some sides of the drain pipe and not on others. You said to loosen the nut on the drain body. I assume this is the 3 1/2 inch nut on the bottom side of the pan?

I may have to disassemble later since I'm heading out of town tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2004, 12:05 PM
    Leaky shower drain
    Any way you look at it you're going to hafta pull the drain out and replace or reset it. If the neoprene ring isn't torn or stretched out of shape you may be able to reuse it. Just coat it with silicon jell before you reinstall the drain. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in bathroom ceiling from upstairs shower [ 3 Answers ]

We have a slight leaking problem in the downstairs bathroom ceiling last year and the homeshield contractor came to check it. We were told it was not a plumbing problem and the water coming from the shower upstairs. We did the caulking as suggested and the problem seemed to go away. Recently we...

Shower Drain Leak [ 9 Answers ]

My house is 17 years old and I am the original owner. The fiberglass shower stall in the 2nd floor master bath is obviously leaking, as the first floor ceiling directly below it has some water spots and was wet to the touch. I removed the drain screen and pulled out 17 years worth of hair. It...

Shower leak is it the pan or the drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all :) Well were selling our home and the inspector said we had a small leak under our 2nd bath we figured pout its coming from the shower we have a single story w/ a crawl space under so we could figure it out. Anyway the pan looks great to be honest we don't use that bath room very much. But...

Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on. ...

Leak in ceiling from upstairs shower [ 2 Answers ]

The ceiling in my downstairs bathroom leaks when the upstairs shower is used. The leak starts about five minutes after the shower has been turned on and continues after the shower is turned off. The leak is coming from two or three small holes in the wood directly beneath the upstairs shower. ...

View more questions Search