Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DN2002FX Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 08:41 AM
    2002 Ford Explorer Brake Lights Remain On After I Park And have left the Car.
    :confused: I am wanting to know why my rear lights remain on after I have parked and removed my key form the ignition. I don't even use the rear lights during daytime. Leads me to believe the lights must be brake lights. Can anybody tell me why these lights remain on? After I removed the Brake Switch I found that Ford no longer sold that Brake Switch and the replacement part required me to splice the 4 wires two on two together. The problem now I face is that I CA'NT GET MY CAR OUT OF GEAR. I noticed after I removed the Brake Switch this. I hoped once I installed the new replacement Brake Switch that my car would again perform normally. Can anyone further help me.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2007, 08:55 AM
    There is a switch behind the brake pedal arm, a few inches above the pedal. That switch should be totally disengaged when your foot is off the pedal. I'd start here.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Try spraying the brake light switch with WD-40 first. If that doesn't fix the situation, then:

. Remove the under-dash panel.
    . Locate the switch near the top of the brake pedal and disconnect the wiring harness.
    . Remove the switch retaining pin and the white nylon washer from the brake pedal pin, then slide the brake light switch and pushrod off far enough for the outer hole of the switch to clear the pin.
    . Slide the switch down to remove it.
    biggiemantwo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Where do I find the brake switch?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake lights on ford explorer [ 5 Answers ]

My brake lights on my Explorer are out. The problem is not the bulbs. What should I be looking for that would cause this problem? Appreciate any help. Mickey

Explorer Brake Lights stuck on [ 2 Answers ]

My explorer brake lights are stuck on. Is this something typical with an explorer? I have already unpluged the wire to the brake switch. Is the switch some I can get at the local automotive store?

Brake Lights [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Z71 Truck. The brake lights stay on . I can't find the problem.

Brake lights [ 6 Answers ]

When pushing the brake pedal on my 1997 ford explorer the brake lights do not come on. The bulbs are good and burn when lights are turned on.

Ford Explorer Brake Lights [ 4 Answers ]

My 2003 explorer brake lights will not turn off when I turn off my car. Can you help?

View more questions Search