Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wornout Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Cast Iron Toilet Flange
    I am replacing my toilet and found that the cast iron toilet flange is broken where one of the bolts that hold the toilet should go. This was a crescent shaped slot, but the outer rim is broken and missing. I was going to replace the flange, but can't see how it is fastened to the drain pipe. The house is on a concrete slab, but I can see the drain pipe move slightly when I pry on the flange. How do I remove the old flange, or is there a way to repair the existing flange?

Thanks,

Wornout
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 15, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Your toilet flange's secured by a poured and caulked lead and oakum joint.
    Since they make a repair kit, (see image) for broken flange slots a replacement flange isn't needed. Simply slip the repair slot and closet bolt under the broken part and reset the toilet. Good luck, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 04:25 AM
    The repair kit mentioned is the most common repair done. It you want to replace the flange, put a rag or something in the pipe so nothing falls into it and gently break the old flange off by hitting it from the inside. Then install a compression flange inside the cast iron pipe. A compression flange has 3 allen screws on the top and a rubber ring that seals the pipe. Remember to secure the flange to the floor with plastic anchors and screws or tapcons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Offset Closet Flange for Cast Iron? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My cast iron waste pipe centerline is 11 inches from the finished wall. It worked with my old toilet (since disposed of) but won't work for my new Kohler. Is there an offset for cast iron that is easy to install? BTW, the floor was tiled and the old closet flange had an extra flange as a...

Replace cast iron flange? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm new to the site, and have found tons of useful information, but I now have several possible routes to take, and I don't know which one will be best for me. I am retiling my bathroom, and I have a cast iron flange that is much too high and has a crack in it. I've read that I can lower...

Rotating Toilet 90 degrees on Cast Iron Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in a 60s vintage home with adequated crawl space. I need to rotate the toilet flange 90 degrees to install the new toilet as the orientation has changed with the remodel. The materials of construction for plumbing is cast iron. I am keeping the same elevation of floor....

Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have read forums on having the cast iron toilet flange being too high after tile removal. I have some additional questions on this: 1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e....

Remove cast iron flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a plastic (fiberglass?) shower pan with a new one. I have the existing pan free from the walls and subfloor, but it is still being held in place by the drain flange (I did remove the strainer!). The flange appears to be cast iron (it is very rusted inside) and is about 4 inches...

View more questions Search