Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Popbubbles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2012, 10:30 AM
    Is it a HIPAA violation if a dentist office employee calls my emergency contact?
    I recently was referred to see the general dentist for a root canal issue and recent development of TMJ I am having now by my othodontist(they performed the root canal on me and overfilled it and now denying it is harmful even though I have bleeding gums around that general area. Also, they deny the positioning of my root canal has anything to due with my recent TMJ symptomology... (granted, I know I am not qualified to say because I am not a doctor but it is my mouth and I know what I feel and see). Because I was given the referral from my othodontist while in treatment, I assumed that I would not be charged for a simple consultation for my root canal pain because I am still under treatment and I was given a referral. After I was done with my consultation, they did not tell me how much it would be. I was unaware I had a charge. They gave me my next appointments and so I left to class. Later that day, once I got home, my emergency contact number which happens to be my boyfriend told me he got a call from my dentist office (they told him to have me call them back asap tomorrow morning). I was so annoyed because I realized no one had tempted to call me! They called my emergency contact number instead of calling me. I have a phone and voicemail set up, why would they call him first rather than their actual patient? That number was given to them for emergencies ONLY... and this wasn't an emergency. Also, I had just updated my phone number that same day! They were neglectful to tell me about my bill before I left and then! I call them the next morning and the lady, says in a condescending way, "ah, you left and didn't pay your bill." As if it was my fault I didn't do their job! Please help! I am confused how I should take care of this. Keep in mind, I am a very kind person but this DENTIST COMPANY makes these types of mistakes all the time! Why have us fill out all these papers if they won't follow them!

Was calling my emergency contact a violation in any way of HIPAA and my privacy? Legal and ethical?

Thank you!
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
    It's not a HIPAA violation because you supplied that number which is releasing your emergency contact as someone they are allowed to call. They also didn't disclose any of your personal information to your boyfriend, so technically nothing was done to violate HIPAA. Calling him sounds like one more mistake this office is guilty of making. The best thing you can do is find another office to go to. Just because you were referred there doesn't mean you have to continue going. Find another reputable doc that can treat you -- just be sure they are covered by your insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation & Rights of an employee [ 2 Answers ]

I recently was terminated from a job after I filed a complaint to HR regarding my supervisors actions. After giving birth to my son and a year of followed ups & downs including a divorce, I suffered from complicated migraines, anxiety attacks and a mild case of depression. Through this time and to...

Hipaa violation? Dentist office released personal records to unknown email account [ 7 Answers ]

I recently asked my dental office to email me a copy of my treatment plan as I had some questions regarding fees. I confirmed my correct email address on paper at the office, on the phone with the office, and in an email sent their account. I was told the next day that my plan was sent to a...

Did my Dentist Office break a HIPPA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I borrowed money from a friend to pay for my child's dental bill. She called to the office to get a receipt for the payment and instead of a receipt they faxed her my child's dental records as to proceedures and charges on my account which is really none of her business and would prefer that she...

Is it a hipaa violation if I, the employee, called a patient for personal reasons? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a front desk receptionist for a dental office. A patient came in, was very friendly, flirty, etc. The next day I got his phone number and sent him a tex message. In the tex, I told him who I was, and that if he was SINGLE and interested then he could call me. We don't have an office policy...

Hipaa violation through employee commication [ 1 Answers ]

Would it be considered a hipaa violation when coworkers share information pertaining to an abuse/neglect case investigation envolving mentally challenged adults. the info shared was between full time employees and ex terminated employees, info shared was the name of the employee under investigation...

View more questions Search