Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2012, 06:34 AM
    Sopa
    Now that Congress has had time to process last week's internet blackout, a consensus has emerged: SOPA and PIPA are toxic for politicians, and going anywhere near them could cost them their re-election.

Freedom is winning.

Together, we've done something amazing-- never have so many people stood up to defend a free and open internet. Here's a San Francisco Chronicle article about how it all came together: The Largest Online Protest in History Started Here.

And here's Carl Franzen at Talking Points Memo:

"Behind the scenes, Hill staffers from both sides of the aisle confirmed to TPM that the entire piracy debate had become so 'toxic' that virtually no lawmakers were likely to be ready to re-engage it anytime soon."

Experienced Congress-watchers are telling us they've never seen anything like this.

Internet users, tech companies, and non-profits joined together to defend fundamental rights on the internet. To a lot of elites in Congress and the corporate world, the internet is just something that lazy teenagers use to spam people with pictures of photoshopped unicorns. The blackout showed that the peer-to-peer internet is about empowerment, and that when we work together we can defeat the corrupt politics of Washington D.C.

The New York Times and Talking Points Memo have both published good articles on how the web blackout was organized.

For months, four senators were the only force blocking passage of PIPA/SOPA. They even promised to filibuster the bill back when most politicians were against them. We need to make sure we support and vote for leaders like them who are willing to going to go out on a limb and oppose SOPA before it was popular to do so. It's great that we pressured all those other shlubs into opposing web censorship, but these guys deserve the real cred and our support

(copied from an email sent to me from fightforthefuture.org)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Yet the government find this more important than caring for their citizens or overhauling a failing education structure or a myriad other more important topics.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
    Yes, exactly.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2012, 03:03 PM
    It demonstrated a force more powerful than the lobbied interests .

Now that being said ; I supported the protest because the bills went to far. I am on board however with intellectual property protection . I think our future economy depends on it.

Intellectual property theft and the sale of counterfeit products cost billions of dollars each year ,especially in the entertainment industry ;but also in high tech and the sciences .

What Congress needs to do is assemble some technical experts ,along with legal experts who understand the 1st Amendment to draft laws that address both of the competing concerns .

Meanwhile the web-sphere needs to be ever vigilant . These bill pop up like wack a moles .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How SOPA Censorship will Esentially Kill the Internet? [ 2 Answers ]

Do you guys think that is what will happen I think its either a new SOPA net or the Internet. Because the Internet means freedom to share stuff for the longest while. But SOPA means the white house will filter everything through the ISP. Right?

AMHD protest of SOPA and PIPA [ 6 Answers ]

Well done AMHD... you are on the right side of this issue. S 968 and it's House version H.R. 3261 are disguised as a measure to stop online piracy. But there are already plenty of laws on the books to protect copyrighted material on the Internet. This is an Internet takeover bill, pure and...

Sopa de fideo (or fidello) [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have the recipe? I know that I need the thin small pasta, fresh garlic, caldo de pollo, oil and tomato sauce... Am I missing anything?

View more questions Search