Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zulupits Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2012, 04:17 AM
    Book - my life - many things happened
    If I write a book (I will), and want to use real people and events that they were involved in, can I just slightly change their name so it isn't them - but it could be no one else?
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 26, 2012, 10:15 AM
    You not only have to change their names, you have to make sure they're not easily recognizable. If you can contact any of them and get permission to write about them, that's a better option. Otherwise you run the risk of being sued, and unless your book is a runaway best-seller, you could be in for quite a financial mess.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2012, 08:54 AM
    Technically, you don't need to get anyone's permission to write about them (if you did, newspapers would be empty) but you do have to be absolutely certain that what you write is not libellous. You have to be able to go to court, if necessary, and defend every word in your book. And you'd be amazed at what people can consider is libel.

If these are people that you know and are likely to be spending time with, then it is a good idea to get their permission first. Of course, you'll end up with a whole team of back-seat editors, but that's a different problem.

Just changing the name slightly is not enough. If you have a funny story about the time your second grade teacher locked you in the stationary cupboard, it's not enough to change his name from Mr Black to Mr White. Plenty of people will know that Mr Black was your second grade teacher. And it's a good bet that there is a real Mr White out there who will also consider that he was libelled.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2012, 09:06 AM
    All good advice before me. Using "real names" or very similar names can get you sued. For that matter so can writing about situations from YOUR viewpoint, situations which are readily recognizable.
    zulupits Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2012, 09:24 AM
    Book - my life - many things happened - addition to!
    Is there anything that can be done if book is published - then released upon my death? Something along that line? I'm doing a terminal thing and am not going to wait till Things get real bad. Will check out before that. Maybe a couple years...
    Anybody else going to be liable?
    Thanks...
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2012, 08:56 AM
    The publisher is jointly liable with you, and you'll find very few publishers who will be interested in taking on a book with any potential for libel.

What is the point of this book? Most people write in the hope of seeing their book in bookshops and seeing people buy it. If you are not hoping to see this, why are you writing it?

If you have an issue that you feel needs publicity, your best bet is to contact a newspaper and get them to cover the story with the information you provide. You'll reach more readers, and get more publicity, and the paper will know how to do it in a way that will keep you out of court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Several things have happened to me over the years and. [ 6 Answers ]

Over the years several things have happened to me that I have had a hard time explaining... even to myself, much less to others. The 1st that sticks out in my mind happened when my daughter was an infant. It was an episode in which I was in bed w/ my husband and a young man w/a staff stood at the...

If doomsday happened, who'd run things? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello: If a WMD wiped out Washington, D.C. who would run things? Where does it say anything about that? There's NOTHING in the Constitution. excon

What's happened to the strange things are happening thread? [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondering what's happened to this thread, as I've just written a lengthy reply to it. Anybody?

Things happened for a reason. [ 2 Answers ]

So I finally got pregnant after 8 years with my husband. Well first I lost some weight before my 25th birthday I was celebrating it in Vegas around that time I was very sexually active with my husband. I came back and felt very nauseas, my breast were in pain and I just felt different. I went to...

Things that happened today [ 13 Answers ]

Earlier, I was walking in the grocery store and was looking in the freezer section for some icecream my wife had asked for. I must have been concentrating because a lady pushed one of those huge "theme" carts that looks like a race car, right up next to me. I wasn't paying any attention, being...

View more questions Search