Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Jan 25, 2012, 03:32 PM
    How do I get calculator to reappear on Windows XP Home after disk clean up?
    I recently ran disk clean up and then my calculator disappeared with the next restart.
    I tried reinstalling it using Add/Remove/Window components/accessories in Control Panel folder but even after several restarts it still doesn't appear. Other accessories can be added or removed without a problem.
    The calculator is usually available by clicking Start/All Programs/Accessories and remains pinned to the start menu after use.
    I can access a calculator through Start/Help then searching for calculator, but there is no way to pin it to the desktop or start menu.
    Using Windows XP Home edition. Plenty of memory available.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
    The calculator is usually available by clicking Start/All Programs/Accessories and remains pinned to the start menu after use.
    By RIGHT clicking you have the option to perm pin it to the start menu, or you could send it to a desktop shortcut.

Jan 25, 2012, 07:14 PM
    Thank you to the person that answered... but when I click on my question it says no answers yet so... I have no idea what your response is.

Jan 25, 2012, 07:19 PM
    OK now I can see your answer.
    The calculator is usually available by clicking Start/All Programs/Accessories
    By RIGHT clicking you have the option to perm pin it to the start menu
    ]

I see I can right click anything in the accessories folder to pin it to the start menu but how do I get it to show up in the accessories folder?
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jan 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Believe it or not, if you right click "send to desktop create shortcut" you can drag that new shortcut to the start button and without letting go, work your way over to the Accessories folder and drop it in.

Jan 27, 2012, 11:08 AM
    As a matter of fact, there are files in the windows folder (notepad.exe) and system 32 (clpbrd.exe) that you can send to the desktop and make shortcuts for Note Pad or the Clip Board, and any of these can be renamed as well (so you can remove the shortcut indicator when you drag and drop it). Your calculator is in the system32 folder called calc.exe and any taskbar, desktop or start menu shortcuts point directly to it.

Jan 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
    Thank you Appzalien for telling me exactly where to find it and how to save it on the start menu. I had to run a system restore but your method is easier! Thanks again!

Jan 29, 2012, 01:26 PM
    I see a lot of PC's where when you click the start button and then all programs, you get a list of installed applications that run the whole screen from top to bottom and often you have to scroll to see them all. In XP if you go into Windows Explorer and then to Documents and Settings and look in the All Users folder under programs\start menu, you can create folders like Utilities, Security, Internet, Burn&Play (with further folders for video and audio inside) and Graphics. Then when you open the start - all programs, you can drag and drop the appropriate shortcuts into their respective locations, and keep your all programs list shorter. You can also use custom instalations to point to the folders you create, so the install will go to say Burn&Play\Video Tools and that way if you uninstall the app or update it, it knows where it is in the start menu. Applications like Ccleaner do not give you the opportunity to put them where you want, so you have to drag and drop the new shortcut into utilities each time you update to a new version.
    I also make a shortcut to Windows Explorer on my desktop for easy access (right click send to desktop) and you can even tell it where to open to in its properties (%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,d:\) opens to my D: hard drive instead of the My Documents default (%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:\) would open the C: drive when you double click the desktop shortcut so you can put more than one on the desktop if you have several hard drives named Windows Explorer D and Windows Explorer C.

Cool Huh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much should I charge to clean new construction home 1200 sq ft./ final clean [ 7 Answers ]

I'm bidding to clean a new construction home 1200 sq ft for final clean-up. How much do I charge? I did a walk through the house and there is tape on the edges of carpet as well as clear plastic cover which seals the top of carpet to be removed, labels on windows, appliances, bathtubs, and...

Windows no disk [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I insert usb or memory stick on my PC this error always poped out- Windows - no disk Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c.. when I click on continue, try again, or cancel, it'll poped out again again.. I scan my PC using...

Disk clean up utilities [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any web site that provides freeware & shareware 'Disk clean up utilities' that does not need any registration fee? Please if yes then let me know them.

Clean & retrive files from hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to buy new computer.how do I retrive hard disk files from my old computer and put it back to new computer?

View more questions Search