Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onegame Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2012, 03:11 PM
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
    Hello,
    Is it possible that "nature" had a role in changing the white man's behaviour in the story? If so, how can I prove it? And could it be read "darkness of the heart"?

P.s. It's not an assignment but just a personal attempt to analyse the story. I'd appreciate any help :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
    I haven't read it, one game, but when I do I will surely get back to you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
    I could never "get into" that book, even though it was required reading in high school. This site might help:

SparkNotes: Heart of Darkness
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 25, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Wow, required reading in US schools, but not in Canada in my time.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2012, 04:58 PM
    Back when rocks were cooling, not only that book but also books by Steinbeck, Dos Passos, Hemingway, Sir Walter Scott, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Upton Sinclair, Thornton Wilder, Harper Lee, Oscar Wilde were required reading with class discussions and papers written; also, short stories by Poe and Washington Irving and O'Henry and plays by Shakespeare et al. I won't even begin to list poetry. Had the same fantastic teacher for three years.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jan 26, 2012, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by onegame View Post
    Hello,
    Is it possible that "nature" had a role in changing the white man's behaviour in the story? If so, how can I prove it? And could it be read "darkness of the heart"?

P.s. It's not an assignment but just a personal attempt to analyse the story. I'd appreciate any help :)

Good book as is the movie adaptation,'Apocalypse Now'.

I think you would need to define, 'nature' before you proceed any further. I am thinking, by 'nature' you mean the influence of the environment on the characters in the story.

I get the impression that one of the main themes centres on how thin the 'veneer' of civilization really is. Taking people out of their social reference leads to one to being forced to look in the mirror. 'The horror, the horror', alternatively, 'For my sins they gave me another mission'.

It is generally accepted we create our own reality; reality doesn't create us. If I remember correctly it is imperial dominance that gives rise to the individual being the ultimate source of power when he finds himself in this particular environment.

It is possible to argue the other way. It all depends on how good you are at structuring an argument.

P.S... Just the opinion of someone who enjoyed the book.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a movie about a kid (conrad) that is delivered in a container [ 3 Answers ]

I watched this movie when I was younger. It's about a boy named conrad, he came from (the factory) he comes in a container and has to be developed with a solution. He was sent to the wrong lady for adoption, she makes all his clothes and they eat a lot of cheese puffs with chocolate syrup. When...

Joseph demauro [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for joseph demauro

Joseph [ 2 Answers ]

Who was Joseph, what is his story in the Bible.

View more questions Search