Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tokyookusan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
    Tax implication for international wire tranfer
    I'm a US citizen living in Japan. I need to wire US$50,000 from my own Japanese bank account to my US account. What is the best way to do so to avoid tax penalty from US and Japan? Will IRS flag this transaction for possible audit? Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 08:28 AM
    From the U.S. side, there will be NO transfer taxes, though you MAY need to file Form 3520 to identify the SOURCE of the funds.

Not sure if Japan assesses a transfer tax. Suggest you ask the Japanese bank.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 07:03 PM
    If you are transferring from your own account in Japan to your own account in the U.S. no 3520 is necessary. You should be filing an FBAR for the Japanese account and answering yes to the question at the bottom of schedule B.
    extendedwalrus Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2012, 12:32 AM
    I think transactions over 9,000 will get the attention of the IRS.

But anyway, my best advice is to talk it over with your banker before you do anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International wire transfer and tax [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta tax expert, I am working in US on H1B visa. I am a resident for tax purposes. My question is how many dollars per year can I transfer as a gift to my dad living in India? Please advise. Thanks.

Tax implication [ 1 Answers ]

I've been in the US since 1999 and paying my taxes every year, and became a us resident since 2008. I will be leaving the states for good in the next few months. Can I get a refund for all the taxes I paid for all these years and how? Thanks

International wire transfer and tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a H-1B VISA holder so not a US citizen. My parents (are not US citizen) want to international wire transfer money from foreign contry about $50K. We are thinking about two ways. I googled and some people says I need to pay tax or someone says no. 1-from my parents's foreign account to my US...

International Wire Transfer Tax on Computer Program [ 8 Answers ]

I am a US citizen. I wrote an open source program many years ago, and just recently have sold the code and IP rights to an Australian, who will be wiring money to me soon in the amount of $25,000 US. Will I be taxed on this? Do I need to report it? This wasn't a project for hire, and developing...

Tax implication [ 3 Answers ]

What is the tax implication for an early withdrawal of 401K funds?

View more questions Search