Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 23, 2012, 11:59 PM
    Laid off
    No, I'm not laid off, but my daughter has been. She was a barista at a small coffee shop and she was laid off right before Christmas due to decreased sales. The owner said that once traffic increased she would be called to work again. Well, lo and behold, traffic has not increased and she has not been called back, but they ARE hiring new employees.

Doesn't this go against any laws? I was of the belief that they had to offer the employment to the employee who was laid off prior to hiring any new employees.

I don't intend to take this anywhere legally, I just wanted to understand the law... Oh, and by the way, those of you who don't know my location... Tennessee.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2012, 04:26 AM
    Sorry nope:

"Generally, however, there’s no “right of recall” for non-union employees who have been downsized or laid off by private employers."

From here: Proceed with Caution When Rehiring Laid-Off Employees | HR Hero Line
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Thanks Scott. That's pretty much what I thought. Like I said, I didn't plan on doing anything, I was just wondering if they violated any labor law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just Laid Off [ 2 Answers ]

40 yr old, single mom, 13-yr old child. Just laid off. Was making $57K/year, now $0. Freaking out. Will begin collecting $400/week unemployment effective 5-1, but I have $3300/month expenses. What should I stop paying first? I heard "credit cards" and "mortgage" first, but continue to pay car...

Hello. I am laid off and don't really know what to do. [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I was recently laid off after 6 years and I really don't know what to do, how to look for a job considering the current unemployment situation in our country. I need to work on selling myself. Any and all input is greatly appreciated! I want to cash out my 401K due to the fact I...

Laid off [ 4 Answers ]

I was dismissed from my job,my boss said it was do to the econemy and a new restructra of the company, I now heard he is looking for for my job. Is this legal?

View more questions Search