Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Jan 23, 2012, 03:23 PM
    How to get a job when you're moving to a different town?
    I'm looking to move in with my boyfriend this year, who lives in a different part of the UK, so it'd mean me moving. But there's something that's always confused me.

We're looking for a place, AND I'm looking for work there. At best I'll get Admin, Retail or Receptionist work. How can I make it so they both happen at the same time? I can hand out CV's when I visit and hope for a call. Do I let them know I'm looking for work so I can move there? What if I get the job, but not the place! (It's a cycle! I can't get the job if I don't live there, and I can't pay the rent without a job!)

I'm worried we'll move in, I don't get any interviews (Ptchh, I know, ME eh!) so he'll be paying all the bills, which he can't afford.

X Dani
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
    Any way you can use your boyfriends address as you put in applications and hope for interviews? I wouldn't quit my job and move, unless I HAVE another.

Save now and rough it in a motel, INN, or whatever until that first paycheck. That means LOOT in your pocket starting now. Bottom line, how much can you save while waiting for that interview/job?

Move for a sure thing, not a wish/hope/or a dream. SAVE< SAVE< SAVE!! 6 months survival money, at least!

Love don't pay the rent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Not sure in your area but jobs are often hard to find, I will assume you don't work for a large company with branches in that area.

And travel for interviews is hard. How is he paying his bills now? Does he have a job?

Jan 23, 2012, 04:57 PM
    Chuck - I don't have a job at the moment any way. Been applying everywhere available for a year now. He lives with his mother at the moment. He does have a job, and a stable one, that's why it has to be me moving, not him. He would be able to pay for a while, but we wouldn't be able to afford more than a loaf of bread a week :L

Tal - I've only got emergency savings. Like £500. That's one month excluding other bills ¬¬ Other than that, until my next birthday or a magical acceptance for a job, I have no way of getting money in. however, there ARE jobs available in the town I'm moving to. It's not just "love" I'm moving for.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 23, 2012, 06:01 PM
    I know you are moving for love, and to be together, but until you have money don't move. What does his mom say about hanging with her until you get on your feet?

Jan 24, 2012, 05:02 AM
    Tal I have no reason to lie for goodness sake. I'm currently living with my mother and love HER. Love is ONE of the many reasons. I prefer the town to my current ones. I'm not a fan of cities and I like villages. There are jobs available. The flats we're looking at are nice. And one of the main reasons, I'm 21 his year. And still living with my parent. I didn't enjoy justifying that, but there you go.

His mother is fine with it. His drunk stepdad, is not.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2012, 05:28 AM
    I would look in the Local Newspaper for Job Openings, and also if you can visit there and physically look for jobs that are close to his work. And if you can find a place nearby, you can reduce the cost of transportation.
    Good Luck

Jan 24, 2012, 05:38 AM
    Aye thank you. I go there once or twice a month for a week or so, so I'm able to actively LOOK.

Will an employer see it as a liability, that I don't live there yet? Is that a reason not to hire them?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2012, 06:03 AM
    A Bad Employer may Take advantage of the fact you NEED this JOB, and may try to take advantage of your situation.
    Look for a Good Employer as well as a good job.

Jan 24, 2012, 06:59 AM
    Thank you for your advice. I think I'll extend the types of jobs I'll be going for.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 24, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Dani, don't rule out the likes of Tescos etc, even if it's only a stop gap measure while you look for better alternatives..
    Saying that Waitrose is an excellent company to work for.

Jan 24, 2012, 07:33 AM
    That's true, money is money.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
    Don't forget to apply at the local library (or a uni one, if there's one close by). :) Once my kids were in school all day, I had returned to the world and shelved books for a few months until I could find a "real" job--and ended up making a career out of library work.

Jan 24, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Ooh, you know, I never thought of that. I'll look online at the college nearby.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Libraries, especially public ones, have a pretty high turnover rate, so give them your application anyway, even if you don't see an ad. They don't always advertise unless they can't promote from within. Your app could be just the ticket for them before they begin a formal search.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Town of creepy people who all seem to have a secret. Stranger comes into town. [ 2 Answers ]

What was that movie called where the man goes into a town and it's filled with evil people who all seem to have a secret and who are not going to let him leave alive. I can't remember if they're cannibals and plan on eating him. It might have been a TV movie. I think it was from the late 70s or...

Can a company change the rules of per diem while on a job out of town? [ 3 Answers ]

My company has not taxed my per diem for the last 10 months. I was just told that after one year on this jobsite, which is out of town, I will be taxed on my per diem. Can that happen?

Mother left child in care of parents and father is out of town of town working [ 2 Answers ]

Mother has custody of the child and father has joint custody of the child .Mother has left child with her parents for four days now. Her father(grandparent ) just contacted the father to let him know that she has not returned home and is recorded to have a drug problem in the past which was...

Moving out of town while on probation [ 1 Answers ]

If you were to move from one state to another without notifying your probation officer, what would happen to you?

Will small town bench warrant for expired insurance stop new job [ 6 Answers ]

I'm applying for a new job, but my past experience with a small town in Texas is bothering me. I was driving my daughters car in a town called Stafford, just South of Houston, Texas, where I live on the North side of Houston. I was stopped (falsely) according to the officer for crawling...

View more questions Search