Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Crown Replacement
    Three months ago I had a front crown replacement. This is the 6th replacement since a tobaggan accident I was in, in 1966. Yesterday I had a sneezing episode where I sneezed five times in a row and the crown popped out. Today I went in to my dentist and he said I need to pay for another new crown. I asked him since the one that popped out was only three months old, wasn't there some sort of guarantee? He said no, he could never guarantee a crown for me, because, in his words, "there isn't enough of the original tooth to make a solid anchoring". I asked him when did he know this? He said he knew that when I had first come to see him 6 years ago. I then asked him why didn't he tell me, instead of putting in a crown then, a replacement crown 2 years ago, and now this future one. He then said I really needed a bridge put in the front of my mouth, to the tune of $5000.00 plus incidentals (he would have to take out what was already in my gums).

My question - does this sound logical? Thank you for reading and taking time to reply.
    rockytopman2 Posts: 15, Reputation: 5

Feb 14, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Three months ago I had a front crown replacement. This is the 6th replacement since a tobaggan accident I was in, in 1966. Yesterday I had a sneezing episode where I sneezed five times in a row and the crown popped out. Today I went in to my dentist and he said I need to pay for another new crown. I asked him since the one that popped out was only three months old, wasn't there some sort of guarantee? He said no, he could never guarantee a crown for me, because, in his words, "there isn't enough of the original tooth to make a solid anchoring". I asked him when did he know this? He said he knew that when I had first come to see him 6 years ago. I then asked him why didn't he tell me, instead of putting in a crown then, a replacement crown 2 years ago, and now this future one. He then said I really needed a bridge put in the front of my mouth, to the tune of $5000.00 plus incidentals (he would have to take out what was already in my gums).

My question - does this sound logical? Thank you for reading and taking time to reply.
    I would definitely get another opinion. Possibly an implant would work better for you. $5000 for a bridge seems out of line also.
    renee78 Posts: 37, Reputation: 6

Feb 15, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Well, you are in a bit of a bind, aren't you? Going on what you have said, you are within your rights to be a little upset. In our line of work, if you suspect a particular course of treatment is not ideal, you suggest another. 3 months is not an acceptable life span of a crown and it is remiss of your dentist to replace it knowing it will fail. A bridge is a good option, if the teeth on either side would benefit from crowning. If they are virgin, or with only minimal restorations, then I would consider an implant, which only replaces the lost tooth, without having to encroach on the teeth either side. Sounds like someone should have had this conversation with you years ago...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown Lengthening [ 4 Answers ]

I have had crowns on my two front teeth for all of my adult life due to falling and breaking them. Recently one crown and tooth broke off at the gum line. Over the years (I am 56) my teeth had shifted and I had a small gap between my 2 front teeth that I hated. My dentist suggested making 4...

Crown Lengthening [ 2 Answers ]

I'm under a new dental plan that does not cover crown lengthening. I've had a couple of crowns replaced and a couple of new ones by a new dentist under the new plan. For each I was charged a $750 fee for "Crown lengthening". I'd never heard of it before and I'm not sure I got a good explanation...

Crown lengthening necessary? [ 23 Answers ]

I had a root canal on Fri and went back to the dentist on Mon for a temp crown and fitting for a permanent crown. The dentist took out the temp crown that the endodontist had used and grinded away most of my tooth. After that, she drew me a diagram, told me that I needed a crown lengthening and...

Crown molding [ 3 Answers ]

Question 1 What type of nails do I use for the real wood crown molding? Question 2 How do I measure the angle, in degrees, of my ceiling? It is something other than 90 or 45? I was hoping to use something simpler than Trig functions.

Crown Lengthening 2 [ 4 Answers ]

I recently went to a periodontist for a consultation for crown lengthening, and was told that aside from cutting gum away, he will have to take some bone as well. What is the recovery prognosis for something like this? Is there a chance that I will have chronic pain / sensitivity on the 2 teeth...

View more questions Search