Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luisvarela Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Property Liens
    Hello, I am selling my house and the title company told me that I have 3 liens against the property that don't belong to me, they are placed for people with similar name than mine, I bought this property a year a half ago and it was with clear title, how can I remove them?
    And why is that these people put a lien in someone else's property because of the similirary of names?
    Thanks!
    Luis.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 14, 2007, 05:36 PM
    You didn't mention what state you're in, but in NJ when the seller has a common name there are often pages and pages of judgments that show up in the title search. The seller must sign a form at the closing called an Affidavit of Title and one of the items on that form says that the seller swears that the judgments listed on that judgment search are against people with a similar name and not against the seller. Then the title company removes the judgments as an exception to the title and issues a clear title insurance policy to the buyer at the closing.

Check with the title company to see if they do something similar in your location. Also provide the title company with a copy of the title insurance policy you received when you bought the property.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Your title company or perhaps I would strongly advice a title attorney can help you best in your area. Here you will actually have to call for a hearing for each lien and have a judge rule on it to get it taken off.
    luisvarela Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Your title company or perhaps I would strongly advice a title attorney can help you best in your area. Here you will actually have to call for a hearing for each lien and have a judge rule on it to get it taken off.

Thank you Chuck, I live in Arizona and I will find out with the title company what can I do..
    Luis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old State tax liens [ 4 Answers ]

I have state tax liens from the state of Hawaii. They are twelve years old. Am I still liable for those? Thank you

Liens [ 7 Answers ]

Can credit card companies put a lien on my house?

Property Liens [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Nicole Bridges. I am currently behind 5 months in my Condo Assessment fees. Can the Condo Association put a lien against my property for being behind in my assessment fees? Please advise. Thanks, Nicole Bridges

Liens [ 1 Answers ]

From an Ontario Canada perspective, can a collection agency put a lien on a house when trying to collect on a student loan that is over 10 years old?

View more questions Search