Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrB43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
    Conversion
    I would like your opinion about conversion at the age of 68? I started about 25 years
    Ago to convert into Conservative Judaism in Oklahoma City, OK. There was no orthodox Shuls
    There. I was transferred by my company to a division where I was required to be on the road continually. I lived in motels and hotels for brief periods. This went on for some time preventing any sustained contact with ANY Rabbi. I finally got off the road by quitting
    The company after landing in Memphis, TN. I started studying at an Orthodox Shul. I was single at the time and had been for about 8 yrs. I met and fell in love with a lady who was very unhappy with Christianity and Catholicism as she had been involved in both. We moved to Little Rock,AR and started studying with an orthodox Rabbi. We were progressing at a comfortable rate and then the Rabbi of blessed memory passes away! We are back in Memphis, TN and have been here for about 10 years. When we moved back my wife decided that she didn't feel comfortable going through a mikvah not being wholly committed as she still would like to eat at her kinfolks table, being unable to smoke on shabbos, and other shabbos restrictions. She has decided that to be a Noahide is what she wants.
    Well, that pretty much sowed it up for me. I love her and will not get a divorce just so I can convert. How much sense does that make? I am not afraid of being circumcised in the least! Meditation goes a long way in preventing pain!

I guess my main concern is that I enjoy studying from a Lubavitch standpoint, but I can't convert with my wife being only Noahide. Would I be hypocritical to convert Reform while being more interested in a much stricter way of life?

For now please let me remain to be known as "Mr. B "
    I read a lot the other strings that have been posted about conversion and felt comfortable in asking for your input.
    Thanks and Shalom
    samdarwen Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Mar 16, 2012, 04:49 PM
    Dear Sir
    I am originally from Memphis and I think I have a partial response to your issue
    Faith is what you believe in, not what people called you by so; if converting would save your happiness, then God bless as long as you know what you believe,, The old testament is far from what we already know.. The Torah teaches the same thing then it will only be a problem if you saw it as one but if you decided it is not, then; it is what you want it to be...
    Hope I understood your concern correctly and my answer helps

God bless
    Sam

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H4 to H1 conversion [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am Shweta. I am new to this site. I am on H4 status and I want to change the status to H1. I have overall 3.4 years experience in Software Testing from India. I have some queries so can anyone help me in solving these below queries.

Conversion of KB to MB [ 2 Answers ]

I need to upload a file listed as 50,827 KB to a site with a maximum upload capacity of 100MB per file... by my way of thinking the file to be uploaded is 50.8MB and thus able to upload - right?

View more questions Search