Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Luckylindy13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Withholding tax for Japanese to US wire transfer?
    My client said she paid a 20% withholding tax when paying our invoice from Japan via wire transfer to our US account. This seems excessive and I haven't had this issue with other clients.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 05:17 PM
    You have to take that up with her bank, but to me does not seem excessive, in fact rather cheap.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 08:58 PM
    Every country withholds tax while making payments nonresidents. So Japan must also be having 20% withholding tax on the type of services provided by you. Your client will give you withholding certificate. On your US tax return you will claim foreign tax credit by filing Form 1116.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 04:48 PM
    Was the invoice related to services and were the services performed in Japan?
    Luckylindy13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 10:38 PM
    The Service was provided outside Japan however the order was placed from Japan the clients law firm to our customer service team in Tokyo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax help on wire transfer? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US citizen living in Japan. Currently, due to the differential in currency strength between yen and dollars it would be advantageous to transfer money from my Japanese bank account to my US bank account. The amount in question is a bit less than $100,000 in US dollars. I do file federal...

Tax on Wire Transfer from Overseas [ 8 Answers ]

I am a US citizen living abroad. I keep a US checking account in the state of Idaho. Would a wire transfer from a foreign insurance company to this account be subject to tax or other scrutiny? The amount would be $100,000 or more.

International wire transfer and tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a H-1B VISA holder so not a US citizen. My parents (are not US citizen) want to international wire transfer money from foreign contry about $50K. We are thinking about two ways. I googled and some people says I need to pay tax or someone says no. 1-from my parents's foreign account to my US...

Tax on Wire Transfer from Overseas to US [ 6 Answers ]

I am permanent resident in the US (green card holder) but not a US citizen. My father, who is not a US permanent resident/citizen and lives overseas, would like to gift me money by sending it as a wire transfer from his account overseas to mine in the US. Assuming the amount is under $100K, what...

View more questions Search