Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logicalhg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 08:12 AM
    Solar Installation
    I am installing a solar generator on my house. I've been granted a permit from the powers that be, but I have a question or two I am not sure of.

I only have one spare slot in my panel and do not want to gang wires together to free up space or upgrade the service. Would it be a code violation to install a 2nd panel box (small) with only two slots, install the back feed breaker there and attach it to the primary panel? I also have a DC disconnect between the solar panels and the inverter and a AC disconnect between the inverter and the circuit breaker panel.

Thanks in advance for any help I can receive
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Logicalhg, First of all to install a new panel however large or small you will
    Need to add it to your permit. If you are the legal homeowner you're allowed.
    What concerns me is how you intend to connect this new panel to your existing
    Panel. I would recommend you install the backfeed circuit breaker for your solar
    In your main panel. I assume to do this you will have to free up one more space
    In your panel to make room. I suggest you consider making enough space for both
    The solar backfeed breaker and the feeder to a new subpanel... a reasonably priced
    Panel will have 12 circuit spaces in it. Connect the sub panel with a 60 ampere two-pole
    And re-install the circuits you removed to make room in the main panel.
    I'm curious, what size is your solar system? Have you been provided with any
    Instructions or recommendations from the solar equipment supplier?
    Hcarson

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solar Technology [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I completed my engineering in electronics background. I want to take a study on solar energy, cells and renewable energy. *** guide me.

Switch to solar [ 1 Answers ]

I want to switch a driveway lamp (13w 800lumens) to solar power. homedepot/lowes=dead end.

Solar Power [ 3 Answers ]

I live on a narrowboat and would like to know if I can get a government grant to replace the diesel engine, diesel heating and gas cooker with a solar powered engine, heating and cooking system.

Solar system [ 2 Answers ]

Which planet has the most natural satellites?

Solar recharge [ 4 Answers ]

I just purchased an off-grid cabin in a remote wilderness. I have solar panels on the roof. My battery storage area is 100'away in a small shed. I am new at solar power. My question: Will that distance cause a significant loss of power, and if so what is the optimum distance? Any help would be...

View more questions Search