Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sameersk Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2012, 10:31 PM
    Education loan interest paid in India
    I took education loan in India for my MS degree. I graduated in 2010 and I got got job in April 2011. I started paying interest on that loan (To my bank in India) after getting job.
    1.Can this amount be deductible from my 2011 tax ?
    2.Do I need to fill any separate form for this ?

Thanks for help in advance.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 03:57 AM
    1. No
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 06:41 AM
    MukatA:

I have to disagree. I just reviewed the criteria for student loan interest, and nowhere did it dis-allow interest paid to a foreign bank.

The only dis-allowance was for interest paid to a "related party". I sincerely doubt that Sameersk is related to his bank in any way.

Sameersk:

This IS one restriction. The loan MUST be exclusively to pay for tuition and fees ONLY. If you used part of the loan to pay other expenses, like travel costs and living expenses, then, unfortunately, the interest is NOT deductible.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
    If you are a resident of the U.S. see Form 1042 and 1042S.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
    Yes, payment for student loan to foreign bank is deductible if the loan terms meet certain conditions set by IRS. I have not come across even a single example where such loan from Indian bank met the required conditions. And then it must also meet withholding requirements. Your U.S. Tax Return: Student Loan Interest Deduction

Jan 21, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Thank you all for your replies.
    AtlantaTaxExpert : I have used the loan only for my tuition and fees only. Which form particularly do I need to submit for this ?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2012, 07:44 PM
    There IS no particlar form. You claim it on Line #9 of Form 1040NR-EZ or Line #33 for Form 1040NR.

Note that you cannot claim MORE than $2,500 in interest.

Jan 22, 2012, 12:52 PM
    To AtlantaTaxExpert : Hi AtlantaTaxExpert, I am looking for tax consultant for tax filing. How I can contact you?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
    Doubleclick on my title above, then scroll down to my signature block, where my email address can be found.

Jan 23, 2012, 07:28 PM
    To AtlantaTaxExpert : I have sent you an email. Please let me know if you received it or not.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2012, 07:57 PM
    No, not yet.

Which email address did you use?

Jan 24, 2012, 01:04 AM
    To AtlantaTaxExpert : I have sent it on [email protected]. My be this is wrong then. I found it on support AtlantaTaxExpert link. I was not able to find any email address when I clicked on your title. I could only see Biography, Experience and Occupation there. Please help me finding your contact or let me know where else I can find it.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
    Please send the email again to that email address; I will be looking for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any tax benefit on interest paid on education loan from a foreign bank? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello.. I am an indian citizen and working in the US. I was on OPT and then on H1-B in the year 2010. I also paid off my education loan(taken from an indian bank) during tha part of the year while I was on H1-B. Can I receive tax benefit for the interest paid on the education loan? Please help me....

Is a wells fargo education loan a real school loan? [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing bankruptcy due to hard finical times. When I was in school my grandparents co signed on a wells fargo educational loan for me. I don't want it to effect their credit. All school loans are not allowed in a bankruptcy. Is this one a "real" school loan I want to countinue making the...

Paid Loan Intrest/Amount in India for Student in USA [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Tax Eperts, For a student,F-1, in USA if he pays back his Education Loan in India, can he get any benefits by indicating that Amount/Intrest while filling 2008 Tax? If yes what point should be considered while claiming?

Deduction for interest paid for loan secured in a foreigh country [ 1 Answers ]

I work full-time in the US on a work visa. I bought a house in a different country (India) and took the loan in a bank in India. I do not have any income from that house (my parents live there). Is there a way I can claim a deduction for the interest paid for the loan?

Deduction on Education loan paid in India [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently on H1B in USA. I have paid around $3000 in 2007 in my education loan in India. Can I get any deduction on that? They loan was taken in india in a indian bank Thanks Sumesh

View more questions Search