Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommalojo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Engine Oil Leak/Antifreeze Leak--2001 Chrysler Town and Country
    My 2001 T & C has 82K and what I am told, by a reputable source,but not a mechanic, is an engine oil leak. The leak seems to be toward the front and middle. I haven't noticed an oil smell, any smoke, etc... but we are also trapped in below zero weather in Nebraska. I was also told there is an anit-freeze leak next to the oil leak. The van is now with a mechanic, what can/should I expect as to cost/labor intensive/parts, etc...
    Thank you for all of your input!
    mjr0112 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommalojo
    My 2001 T & C has 82K and what I am told, by a reputable source,but not a mechanic, is an engine oil leak. The leak seems to be toward the front and middle. I haven't noticed an oil smell, any smoke, etc... but we are also trapped in below zero weather in Nebraska. I was also told there is an anit-freeze leak next to the oil leak. The van is now with a mechanic, what can/should I expect as to cost/labor intensive/parts, etc...
    Thank you for all of your input!
    It's hard to say without knowing what motor you have in your van, so all I can tell you is what leaks on those vehicles. Assuming you have a 3.3l or 3.8l, common oil leaks from the location you are saying would be, the oil filter, or the oil pressure switch, which is located directly above the oil filter. Both are easy and relatively cheap fixes, change your oil ($10-$40), and for the oil pressure switch at a Chrysler dealer, the price is $24 for the part and half hour labor (labor rate $75-110?? Per hour) Front timing covers gaskets leak on those, this repair is costly, it is labor intensive, depending if you need a new front cover, witch sometimes you do, it can get real exspensive. It is also common for the oil pan gaskets to leak, ($30 gasket 1-1 1/2 hours labor) Front crankshaft main seals leak ($10 seal 1-1 1/2 labor) Vehicles with higher mileage will usually develop a leak from the valve cover gasket and also the lower intake gaskets these are not real big leaks usually, but they do leak. Both of these are around ($300-400) to repair parts and labor. Your three areas usually to look at are Oil pressure switch, oil pan gasket , and front crank seal. Sorry if I'm scaring you, just letting you know. Also watch for leaking trans cooler lines and trans solenoid pack. As far as the coolant, 2 major problems are the water pump, (appox $200-300) and the rear heater tubes, if equipped,I have seen a ton of these rusting out. ($300-$400) I work at a Chrysler dealer so all my prices are based from that, independent shops should be a little cheaper. Sorry for being so long winded, just wanting to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 dodge ram 1500 oil leak [ 1 Answers ]

My dodge ram v6 is leaking oil from the shaft tha comes out of the water pump. There is no oil in the water. Is there a seal that can be raplaced by removing only the fan or is this going to be a total nightmare??

Antifreeze leak in 97 Jeep Cherokee [ 2 Answers ]

1997 Jeep Cherokee... I purchased this a year ago from an elderly couple so I thought that it would be in decent shape. When I purchased it the antifreeze didn't have too much of a problem. Once winter rolled around it would go through antifreeze like crazy but no leaks. I had Firestone do a...

Oil leak [ 1 Answers ]

My Honda accord ex 91model, refused to start one morning, and I brought in a mec to solve the problem but he went and removed the valves meanwhile the problem was the fuel relay. Now my problem is that the oil level keeps going down and there is no oil drops on the floor. Somebody thinks that I may...

Oil leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have an oil leak somewhere in my 93 civic ex and I was wondering what I could do about it. A mechanic friend said it looks like its coming from the "oil sending unit"? I think. And that some kind of gasket or seal in that needs to be replaced. Please help.

View more questions Search