Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scott_B Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
    Rescind parental rights Tennessee?
    I'm sorry if I am not posting this in the correct place. I am new to all of this. I am a divorced Father of 2. Parenting plan is in affect, I pay child support, provide insurance, have visitation, etc. It has come to my attention in the last 2 weeks that the son I have raised for 17 years may not be mine. Yes, my name is on the birth certificate. His Mother and I dated briefly, I went into the service, when I returned home on leave she told me he was my son. I was 19 at the time, young and stupid. I believed her. She is now threatening me with more child support which I don't care to pay more if I am required to, that isn't the issue. My issue is, can I have a DNA test done and if proven I am not the Father can she force me to give up my rights? I am in Tennessee. Thank You.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2012, 03:41 PM
    You ARE your son's father! Make no mistake about it. Whether you are his biological father or not will not change that. I'm not going to even bother looking up TN law for specifics.

That also means that you will owe support according to the law. If she asks for a modification based on your income changing, she may get it.
    Scott_B Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
    As I said, child support isn't an issue. I've paid all of this time and will continue to pay. Money isn't the issue. I want to know if she can force me to give up my rights?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Again, you are the legal father. She is in the worst position to do anything about it. So, my opinion is that she won't be able to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laws in Tennessee - terminating parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

TN. How hard would it be for me to terminate the parents rights if I have had the children 12, 11,6,4 years. I have had no support from the parents. Also I just received Guardianship of a child that was very due to carelessness of the mother. The mother voluntarily sign the Guardianship papers, and...

How do I file a motion to take away parental rights in Tennessee [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 4 1/2 and I took his father to court when he was a couple of months old to get support and visitation and he never did either. He has never seen him, and I am fine with nothing from him, but I want to move on with my life and move, how can I legally do this? Is there a way I can file to...

Giving up parental rights in Tennessee [ 14 Answers ]

My brother has a daughter that he only gets to see 4 hours a week and that is only if the mother lets him come over (when he was getting divorced he was unsure of how to answer to a petition for a divorce so he had a default judgment against him). He pays a great amount of child support and has...

Rights of the stepfather in Tennessee [ 3 Answers ]

What are the rights of the stepfather in regard to discipline, etc.

Rescind Relinguishment of parental rights [ 13 Answers ]

Can a father who had signed a paper releasing his rights rescind his actions? He was heavily under the influence at the time and regrets he did this.

View more questions Search