Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tswilcox Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 11:03 AM
    When should I sell?
    I was notified I was inheriting property in the Seattle area, a total of 5 lots. The value estimates so far are between 800k and 1.5 million. There are no mortages owned on any of these and these properties are only a portion of all properties that were distributed among many heirs. I don't live anywhere close to these properties and plan to sell them as I won't be able to manage them. My question is when should I sell them to help with taxes and what type of taxes will I pay after selling inherited property? Is the tax as income tax and is the total amount taxed? Is it short/long term capital gains etc. As I understand it, Washington state did away with inheritance tax and replaced it basically with an estate tax. When it comes to state taxes, I would pay Washington state instead of my home state correct?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2007, 10:41 PM
    The impact on your income taxes when you sell will be minimal if you sell anytime in the next year or so. The basis of the property was stepped-up to the Fair Market Value at the time of the owner's death. If you sell shortly, the gain in the property's value probably will not even cover the costs of the sale. You may actually show a paper loss.

Any inheritance or estate taxes are paid by the estate, NOT the heirs.
    tswilcox Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    The impact on your income taxes when you sell will be minimal if you sell anytime in the next year or so. The basis of the property was stepped-up to the Fair Market Value at the time of the owner's death. If you sell shortly, the gain in the property's value probably will not even cover the costs of the sale. You may actually show a paper loss.

Any inheritance or estate taxes are paid by the estate, NOT the heirs.
    Thank you for the help, it's much appreciated. I've heard so many things about different tax rates and the like and it's been so confusing to try and even get a ball park figure of what will have to be paid and what will actually be net income from everything.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need To Sell My House [ 3 Answers ]

My house is on the market and we need to sell before we lose it to foreclosure, how long do I have to try to sell it before we lose it? It is not official yet, but possible this month if we do not catch up on past payments. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

How can I sell a story [ 2 Answers ]

I want to sell a book if possible. How do you get started? I read one author just submitted a manuscript. What ecactly is a manuscript? The whole story? Are there contest for writing?

Sell Online [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir Hi , I'm living in Iran and wants to use "Sell Online" on my web sites to sell my products online and receive its money (earned via eshopping) by cheque , Some gateway american companies have no services for Iran , Can you tell me some company that support Iran ? Best and kindest...

View more questions Search