Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    veryneatdesk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Can I prove my innocence?
    I didn't even leave the store. I went to look out the doors to see if my friend was coming and they stopped me and told me I was being charged for shoplifting. The security guard said it was my intention to steal. I explained to him that I never would have left the store without paying. Should I plead guiltyor do I have a defense?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 10:33 AM
    What happened next?
    Did the police come? If so, what did they say?
    Have you actually been charged by local law enforcement?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Following up on Ricks, Security guards can not charge you with a criminal charge, they hold you for the police, who take a complant from the store and then charges are filed.

Were you arrested, did you post bail?

Next where were the windows, were they past the checkout lines, were you walking toward the door ( windows in that direction) past the check out.

Next where was the items, in plain veiw or hidden?
    charlie72 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by veryneatdesk
    I didn't even leave the store. I went to look out the doors to see if my friend was coming and they stopped me and told me I was being charged for shoplifting. The security guard said it was my intention to steal. I explained to him that I never would have left the store without paying. Should I plead guiltyor do I have a defense?
    If you didn't! Then you didn't and don't plead anything, If you were charged then get an attorney, and if innocent or they drop the charges, file suit.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 26, 2008, 09:00 PM
    This matter has probably been resolved by now but I will respond anyway. I was in retail security for 13 years and find it hard to believe that the scenario occurred as you say it did. First of all, let's get one thing straight about the arrest powers of store security personnel. Of course it varies from state to state, but for the 13 years I arrested shoplifters and dishonest employees as part of a store security team, I was commissioned by the Maryland State Police to make arrests on all property owned by the store I worked for. If someone assaulted me during a lawful arrest, they could be charged with assaulting a police officer and/or resisting arrest.

Of course not all store security people are granted police powers, but as a general rule they can hold you for the police as mentioned above.

If this case has gone to court, I would find it hard to believe that you would be convicted unless you removed the tags from the item, or concealed it on your person. In my state "concealment with intent to deprive" is sufficient for a conviction and tearing tags off is a separate part of the theft statute. Other than something like that, walking up to a door with a store item does not constitute probable cause for arrest. I have seen many people hold garments up to a door or window to see how it looks in sunlight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I defeat a quit claim deed or prove duress? [ 5 Answers ]

I am divorcing my husband of 17 years, his girlfriend is getting in the way. He also thinks I spend too much time taking care of our 9 yr old autistic child... We bought our house (with 10K downpayment from my father) in 1990. Arizona is a community property state :) Community funds have paid the...

Can this prove infidelity? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband left our marriage abruptly a few months ago. I have circumstanstial evidence that he is cheating on me. I was told that infidelity in my state (Rhode Island) can only be proven if you catch the two parties "in the act" or by finding vehicles of the parties overnight together. I have...

Need to prove father's income [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find out if there is a way to prove the father of my child's income in writing. He will not give this information voluntarily. I have a support order from Florida, but when the order was written, he had a poorly paying job. Soon after the order went into effect, he got a much better...

Prove by induction [ 2 Answers ]

I need to prove by induction that for every n => 0, 8/1*3 + 8/5*7 +... + 8/(4n+1)*(4n+3) <= 4 Every help is welcome!

I'm not getting cheeky, but how can you prove this stuff is true? [ 8 Answers ]

Psychics, fortune tellers e.t.c I don't know man, but gees I don't think this stuff is real and something one can actually apply and take into consideration in the choices one makes. Does anyone beg to differ?

View more questions Search