Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MSCVAS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Name added on deed before marriage - getting divorced
    Right before we were married, my husband added my name onto the deed of his house which he owned for about 13 years before we met (the mortgage was kept in his name only). He started an affair 2 months after we were married that carried on for most of the marriage. I gave him a second chance and found he was communicating with her and left him. I stayed with family for a while to try to work it out for several months and finally filed officially. Upon filing - we were married for about 26 months. There was not any formal separation agreement between those times.

Being that he added my name to the deed of the house before we were married (we simply went to the county clerks office and filled out the paperwork and filed it there the same day). Does this make me 50% owner of the house entitling me to half of its worth? Or if not, what are my entitlements? We live in New York.
    louie1 Posts: 183, Reputation: 49

Mar 24, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MSCVAS
    Right before we were married, my husband added my name onto the deed of his house which he owned for about 13 years before we met (the mortgage was kept in his name only). He started an affair 2 months after we were married that carried on for most of the marriage. I gave him a second chance and found he was communicating with her and left him. I stayed with family for a while to try to work it out for several months and finally filed officially. Upon filing - we were married for about 26 months. There was not any formal seperation agreement between those times.

Being that he added my name to the deed of the house before we were married (we simply went to the county clerks office and filled out the paperwork and filed it there the same day). Does this make me 50% owner of the house entitling me to half of its worth? Or if not, what are my entitlements? We live in New York.
    I am not aware of your rights in ny but here in england it is total 50/50 unless of course there is children involved and then it would swing in the direction of the primary carer of the children.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Yes, had he not added you to the deed, he could claim he owned it before you were together, but by adding your name he "gave" you 1/2 ownership in the house,

He will find this a very costly now, So you you should be able to claim 1/2 of the home now. But of course his attorneys will try and say no, so you will have to have attorneys saying yes.

Remember in the end, the settlement is just that, what the two ofyou end up settling on, so this may be your point to win a lot of other things you may want.

So your attorneys and his attorneys will file motions backand forth, and try to come to some agreement that you both will agree to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

Is he divorced? [ 2 Answers ]

My sister-in-law filed for divorce from my brother about 2 years ago. My brother never signed any papers or cooporated with her lawyer. Now he decides he wants to marry again. How and where would he go to find out if he is divorced, without having to contact his ex, so he can remarry?

Still not divorced [ 7 Answers ]

I have been seeing a man for over a year now. He has been separated from his wife for over a year and a half. They are going for a dissolutionment, but not has happened yet. How long should I wait for a commitment? I know he does not love her, but how can I speed things up?

Divorced? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to see if my friend really is divorced without paying for detective fees? Are there data bases to view?:confused:

View more questions Search